Suzuki DT75 hard to start after running a long time

playinsnooky

Recruit
I have a 1985 DT75 that has been running great for the 3 months I have had it.<br />It was well taken care of before I bought it.<br />It starts easy and runs great initially.<br />Last week after running for about an hour, it started getting hard to start. Ihad to lift throttle lever wide open to get it to start.<br />Eventually if wouldn't start at all.<br />After sitting for about 1-2 hours it started up, and again ran fine.<br />Carbs are clean, and plugs are new.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Suzuki DT75 hard to start after running a long time

Try checking a few things.<br />1 Is primer bulb hard before restart.<br />2. if primer not hard give it a few pumps<br />3.are you using choke, i was told on start push key in for choke while cranking, at first cough from motor release key, then crank without pushing key in (no choke) works for me.<br />4. Possibly but not likely fuel pump could have leak to crankcase, wouldn't worry too much about that yet<br />Sir Les Pat (proud DT75 owner)

playinsnooky

Recruit

Thanks for reply, but I have already checked out 1,2, and 3 (from your list).<br />Not sure why fuel-pump problem would only appear when warm/hot, but I will check.<br />I was wondering if oil-injectio could be problem.<br />Other than disconnecting, and manually mixing, is there any other way to check?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Pull off the airbox and watch the carbs when you have the problem. It sounds like it might be flooding out due to a stuck open float valve on one or more carbs. That is consistent with you having to give it a lot of throttle to get it to fire. Pump the fuel bulb while looking in the carb throats and see if any of them are spilling gas.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds to me like the ignition is weakening a bit. Try closing the plug gap to .020 in. If it cures the issue continue to run with small gap or save your allowance and pony up for ignition components.(not cheap for sure)

playinsnooky

Recruit

Jimd and Yepblaze;<br />Thank you for the great suggestions.<br />I will try both and report back.