HELP! Yamaha 200hp electrical tach problems

sandlapper

Recruit
I have a 1999, 200HP Yamaha with a digital multi-function tachometer. After the instrument quit working and went completely blank, I discovered that if I disconnect the four-pin connector at the tach with the orange, black, pink, and gray wires, the display shows up. However, it flashes three arrows pointing to each oil indicator icon and the trim position indicator stays at the highest level and will not work (which makes sense since the sensor is now disconnected from the instrument). If I disconnect the four pin connector at the remote oil tank, the three arrows stop blinking and only a solid arrow over the middle ramp-shaped icon is displayed. If I re-connect the four-pin connector at the tach, the instrument display goes blank again.<br /><br />I have done my best to check all connections using a wiring diagram. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

bignastymw

Recruit
Re: HELP! Yamaha 200hp electrical tach problems

I'm having the same problem with mine but mine is 1999/90hp yamaha mutigauge,it was working fine until I filled my oil tank all the way and it started fading out.I'm tring to fix it this weekend,hope I dont have to replace that gauge 389.00 for it!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

sandlapper

Recruit

Come to think of it, my display went blank after I filled the remote oil reservoir also. Before that, the display worked, but it had the three flashing arrows over the oil icons. Was yours doing that, too? Is your display coming on after disconnecting the four-pin connector coming from the trim sender (mine is Black, Orange, Pink and Gray)? I will be working on it this weekend also. I want to remove and check the oil sensor in the remote tank and check the trim sender.

bignastymw

Recruit

mine is blinking,showing arrows,can't see trim.I'm not sure about color of wires I copy your post I'm going to check it tonight! I'll get back with you soon! ;) ;)

sandlapper

Recruit

I worked on it last night and was able to get the tach display to stay on with all wires connected (don't ask me how). The three arrows are still flashing, though. According to the motor operator's guide, that indicates either low oil in the engine-mounted reservoir or a loose battery connection. The reservoir is full and all connections are good. Next I will concentrate on the oil sensor in the engine-mounted reservoir; maybe it's stuck in the low-oil position.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there were a couple service bulletins about the oil sensor on the engine mounted tank...see if your local dealer can get you a copy :cool: