Speed Question?

spin-a-bait

Cadet
I have been looking at a Lowe Roughneck 1860VTC w/70hp Yamaha.Does anybody out there know how fast this boat will run?Or does anybody know anybody have any comments on this boat?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Speed Question?

I'd guess about 30 mph (+- 3 or 4). Very sturdy and well-made boat, they are used around here for duck hunting and river fishing and they are popular up in Alaskan rivers, usually fitted with jet pumps. Not a big water boat, they ride a bit rough in a chop.

spin-a-bait

Cadet

hey CaptainPuget thanks for the info but here in VA I have heard that those boats handle rough water good for a aluminum boat I guess I will just have to buy one and try it for myself

cajunpontoon08

Recruit

i just purchased a R2265 cc Roughneck and this thing rides great in a large chop. it keeps me dry. I have a 115 4-stroke merc. on the back and the boat tops out at 44mph. I am told that if i would have gotten an Optimax that i would get 8 to 10 more MPH. i am happy with the speed i am going.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to yamaha's web site. click on "Performance Bulletins". Select two stroke. Select you HP, and then make your boat selection. The performance bulletins will be listed for all engines in that HP range. They may or may not have tested your exact boat but this is one of the most complete data bases I've found. You can also pick a boat close to what you have for comparison purposes. They will list engine rpm at various speeds, fuel consumption, time to plane, noise level in some tests, and the prop used in the test.