1986 90HP Yamaha-PLEASE HELP !!!!

Doogie

Recruit
Hi everyone. New to the forum here. Really a lot of good info here. Here's the problem.....1986 Yamaha 90 HP starts sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I take the spark plugs out, and they are covered in gas. Spray them with starter fluid, turn motor over with plugs out to clear fuel from cylinder, shoot a little starter fluid in cylinder, install plugs, try starting again, take plugs out again, and start the same process over. Sometimes I have to do this 5 times before motor finally starts. After it starts, it runs fine, and will start right up when needed. I don't know if this is a firing problem or fuel problem. Just had carbs pulled and cleaned too. If ANYONE reading this can please give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I would really like to get my motor where I can depend on it and will start as normal. This gets really embarrasing at the launch after a while. Thanks in advance!!!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1986 90HP Yamaha-PLEASE HELP !!!!

here is a quick shot from the hip. if the ignition switch is a old as the motor there might be some corrosion you are fighting. without looking at the print i believe the motor is shut off by connecting the white wire with the black. disconnect the white and see if the motor starts. the back of your owners manual should have a wire print for the ignition switch. good luck fred.