China Syndrome or Fade to Black

pursuit1

Recruit
Thanks to all for timely responses to my post last week. My Suzuki DT 140 has low compression, and repair/replacement is not an option right now. While boat idles poorly and won't run over 4800 rpm, it performs well within the useable power band. Two questions: how long can I reasonably expect to run this engine before it goes? Also, is it likely to end in a sudden, catastrophic failure or will it gradually continue to lose power?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: China Syndrome or Fade to Black

What's the low-down on the compression? How bad is it?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

pursuit1

Recruit

Hooty: The wrench wrote down each cylinder's compression on the repair order. While I don't have it handy, the numbers were between 120-130 lbs per cylinder. I think the specs call for 128-135. This is a '00 DT 140 and I believe it's fuel injected. This relates to my post from last week concerning MY compression test prior to taking it to dealer, but I discovered after the fact that I performed the test incorrectly, failing to remove ALL spark plugs prior to test. I pulled one plug at a time.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Compression sure sounds pretty good to me.I dont think you would notice a difference in performance at those figures.I would wonder why<br />it is low at this early stage of its life.<br /> I would suspect a fuel or ignition problem<br /> before the compression.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Spike speaks with straight tongue. Compression looks good. I'd look for problems somewhere else. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty