SKEG BENT!

largewake

Seaman Apprentice
I have managed to bend the skeg on my yamaha 90hp outboard 1988, i was wondering if anyone had any tips on straightening it out again, someone sugested placing an anvil alonside it and hitting it back with a rubber mallet, i thought a jig made from 2 steel plates with bolts on either end and screw up the bolts gently watching the skeg re align but it is bent 3/4 the way up the skeg, any ideas anyone? :rolleyes:

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: SKEG BENT!

Mornin' Largewake,<br /><br />Just my opinion BUT,... i've had luck bracing the Lower unit against a log and the wacking with a rubber mallet.<br /><br />3/4 bent? WOW! thats a big one. What ever methode you choose to employ, BE CAREFULL<br /><br />Good Luck

largewake

Seaman Apprentice

3/4 is a bit much, but around about 45 degrees would be somewhere near, i would post a pic but i have not figured how to yet!

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

skegs are cheap 30-50 bucks. Get a new one and have it welded on from a shop that does heli-arc weding shop or a shop that makes t-tops. If you bang it with a mallet and it is by alot you are wasting your time.

mdegood

Seaman Apprentice

I think I would have a new one welded on. You might find that trying to bend it back might cause stress cracks somewhere where you don't them, like bearing area. Alum alloy (esp cast alum)does not like to have any atempt of rebending done to it. If it is bent that much I would take a picture of it for bragging rights and get a new skeg welded on. I had my done (yamaha 70hp) for $60.00. They even ground the welds and painted to factory color. Can't even tell there was any damage.

largewake

Seaman Apprentice

i wonder if anyone has had this done in the u.k. and what price they paid for the work over here, i garantee that it will be 5 times the price!<br />it may be a case of bend it and see!