getting boat ready for summer

crzy4wlvs

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have looked all over these forums to try to find out what I had to do in order to get my boat ready for summer, and found nothing...I have a 100 hp 79 johnson outboard that I fully winterized in the fall. I was wondering if anyone could help me out by telling me what I should do in order to get my ol' rig back into the water. I put some defogger and new plugs in the motor for winter. Also I put some fuel stab. in the tank. Is there anything special that I should do to the motor to get the junk out?...Or should I just turn the motor over a few times to burn it out?....well hope someone could help me out....Thanks

accord_guy

Seaman
Re: getting boat ready for summer

Just start her up and let her run. Don't <br />forget about the lower unit gear oil.

crzy4wlvs

Seaman Apprentice

Awsome....Thats all I needed to know....I would of forgot the lower gear oil..Thaks for reminding me>

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would start it on the old plugs. Once the fog clears and its running OK then put the new plugs in. Not critical -- just a thought.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope ypu changed the lower unit oil before winter or you might be in for a nasty surprise. If you drained, & refilled it w/ fresh oil in the fall you are good to go, if not, hope there was no water in it to freeze & crack anything. You can also De-carb the motor (also called power tune) before changing the plugs, it's a spray you put through the carbs w/ the engine running, it cuts all the carbon gook from winter out of the engine. It will smoke a lot as you are doing this. Good Luck, Joe