Suzuki 140 question.. boat is pushing to port

Learo2000

Seaman Apprentice
I took out my boat (2001 Campion explorer 19 FT) this saturday and it it was leaning to the port side under full acceleration. I did not do this when I test drove the boat 3 times and when survayed. It has two batteries and I put in a different battery that is a bit heaver on the port side, but I do not think it would make that much difference.<br /><br />I am thinking that the trip tab on the bottom of the outdrive must have got bumped out of wack a bit. It is a 150 suzuki.<br /><br />My questions: 1. Does weight distribution effect the lean of the boat that much????<br /><br />2. When I adjust the trim tab on the outdrive, is it real sensitive, or should I move it a good inch or 2 ??????<br /><br />PS pulled a real dumb move when hooking up the battery.... hooked the cables up backwards and ended up spending a good part of the day tracking fuses down. I was a mechanic for several years and have never done that.... I was so excited to get the boat out I was not paying attention. Felt like a real dumbass as my friends were as excited as I to get the boat out......<br /><br />thanks <br /><br />Doug Lear

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki 140 question.. boat is pushing to port

Sometimes if I'm just tooling along and the steering wheel is centered I can lean to one side or the other and the boat will start to go off in that direction. So yes, an extra person onboard, or weight shift will tend to SLIGHTLY pull the boat off center. <br /><br />And about the trim tab, each boat's a little different, but some take a drastic angle on the trim tab and still pull somewhat. <br /><br />I guess that's why they developed "no feedback steering sytems"<br /><br />Propeller design can effect it also.<br /><br />There also might be a friction screw that you can tighten near the base of the steering wheel assembly. That also can absorb, or null, some pull.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Does that boat have a pad on the bottom? If it does, it'll be real sensitive to weight distribution when its on plane.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Learo2000

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response guys... I am going to take it out tommorow and mess with it a bit... it is a funny deal... when I test drove it three times it did not do it.... <br /><br />not sure of what you mean by a pad on the bottom of it.. thanks DOug