275 Verados / Repower

Pace

Cadet
Can anyone tell me good or bad about these engines? I can not find any bad news about them, I am a bit reluctant to purchase the 1st. year models with out a track record.

tommays

Admiral
Re: 275 Verados / Repower

the 275 does have a higher octane requirement than the 250 and down<br /><br />it will run on less but requires it to make the full 275 HP<br /><br />tommays

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Make sure the transom of the boat You have is designed to handle a the forces a Verado can create on the transom outboard mounting points.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=038617 <br /><br />What I have read is that demand is higher then the rate Mercury can produce Verado so it seems it is a popular outboard. How reliable the Verado line of outboards are only time can tell.<br /><br />I use Yamaha, but I think my next outboard could be a Mercury Verado. I do not care what's hanging on my transom really as long as it is reliable and service is near me. Price is important also of course but not the most important - that is reliability (for me). And so far my Yamaha has been reliable.<br /><br />Good luck!

Trophy23

Seaman

Hi Pace. Very few problems with the Verado's to date and they've been out over a year now. I've heard there has been two power head failures, but only know of one recently and it appears to be due to servicing of oil incorrectly. I definetly would go with the highest horsepower you can afford due to horsepower to weight ratio. I didn't do that and which I had now. Only makes sense, the 275 can run on lower octane gas, just doesn't produce full 275hp, but if you want to give it the good stuff, you have 275. If you do get them, I advise joining a 'New Verado owners' group at the following link: http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/...ghlight=Verado owners&highlightmode=1#M490773 . The group is over 30 now and sharing info. I hate to give another forum site, but I wish I'd had this information before as it would have helped on picking props,horsepower,etc for the motor. Thousands of Verado's and Etec's out there now and they are both haveing a great track record, great news for the US industry I think.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

They better be good...Merc spent a cool 100 mill on their development!