Yamaha C60 Overheat buzz after service

JKent

Recruit
Help! I am no mechanic and now am kicking myself for trying to "do the right thing". I have a 60C Yamaha on a 16' center console. The engine is just two years old. I have done the lower unit gear oil change but have not had a "annual service" before. The engine is run in Salt and brackish water. The engine has run flawlessly UNTIL after the servie was completed. I requested that the impeller be changed as part of the service and I was charged $32 for the impeller and $70 for the labor for the impeller. Here's my problem, which never happed before the service, and started immediatley after. In idle forward. That is the lowest speed going forward the overheat buzzer comes on and stays on until I give more power and increase the speed. It no longer can lowest speed move. While running at 6000rpm it runs great and no buzzer. What the heck did the dealer do or not do to my wonderful engine? Within 100-200 yards at lowest speed forward it starts the constant buzz. Help. The thermostat was not changed, the engine probably has 100 hrs on it. Thanks for your help. JKent

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha C60 Overheat buzz after service

Probably didn't get the housing sealed correctly on the waterpump housing and its sucking air at low speed. There's an O ring around the base of the housing and it may have slipped out of place when installing it. Bottom line, it needs to be checked and the problem corrected. Or due to the price of the impeller, he just changed the impeller and none of the gaskets or O rings. If he had used a kit, the price would have been much more.