what prop to get?

dartster2

Cadet
I own a 01'yamaha 200hp OX66 and i currently am using the stock prop that it came with.....it looks pretty bad with cuts and a little bent!...i need to get a new prop...Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of prop to get?....Will a better one perform better?....Steel or aluminum?.....I guess i'm looking for something to perform better...thanks!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what prop to get?

I like SS props myself. Stronger with thinner blades so you can run more pitch and keep the RPM's up. The expense is the biggest drawback. Some say that the SS props are harder on gearcases, but I don't believe actual tests have ever shown this.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

there was a big SS versus aluminum debate not too long ago. If you do a search of the forum you should find it. Aluminum is so much nicer for hitting things with, SS while it you may think its stronger only means it will bend your shaft and mess up the whole works. Or you could just look out for those stumps...<br />do a search for SS vs. Aluminum I think thats what the subject was.<br />Craig

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you live in rock country like I do, get your old alum prop rebuilt. Stay with the original factory prop unless you are pulling a bunch of skiers.