racor filter question?

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at installing a Racor fuel filter/water separator on my 115 yamaha. I am looking at the 320R-RAC-01 recommended for outboards/60gpm/1/4" fittings. Wondering if any of you have installed this model and if it comes with barbed fittings so I can just mount the filter, cut the fuel line and attach to in/out. Or, is it a threaded hole that i'll have to find the barbed fittings for, screw into in/out ports and then hook up. Racor site/iboats doesn't give much info on the install?

Bozo

Seaman
Re: racor filter question?

I don't know if I bought a racor or not but the one I got did not come with the hose barbs. I bought mine at sears hardware. They are readily available at most hardware stores. You might want to get a couple of plugs as well. I only use two of the four openings and needed the plugs to stop up the other two.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info B - wonder why, if it's designed for an outboard, it wouldn't come with the barbed fittings? Guess I'll wait till it arrives and take the whole mess to the hardware store and get what's needed. I was also planning to mount this in a bilge area in the back of my boat where batteries are and fuel line runs before exiting out to motor. I read a few previous posts that say to stay away from the plastic bowl for under deck applications. Is that just because the plastic is weaker than the metal bowl? Seems like both could potentially leak? I like the veiwable plastic bowl better, is there any reason I can't mount below deck?

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice

That's the model I have on my 20' Aquasport with a 115 Evinrude, works super. I think the barbed fittings are included on the filter mount.

Bozo

Seaman

Different outboards have different hose sizes. My yamaha has 5/16" hoses while others have 1/4" or 3/8". I suppose they figure instead of including to much stuff it was easier and cheaper to not include enough. :D <br /><br />I don't know about your other question on why the plastic isn't recommended for below deck. Probably more of a liability statement than it is functional. That is just a guess though. The lawyers probably figured it was easier to break the plastic compared to the metal and if you mount it below deck you can't monitor it as closely and it could potentially be bad news. It is probably just a c.y.a. type thing but, just guessing.<br /><br />This is the type that I have and it didn't come with the barbs, it isn't a racor so they may be included.<br /><br />
55-6030.jpg

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like Bozo said you can go to a hardware store and get the hardware for probably less than a dollar each. Make sure you get teflon tape too. You can do a search here and find very valuable info on do's and don't for installing one.<br /><br />Dutch

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info again - i had searched the message board and found some good information but I really never could figure out why the plastic bowl version of the Racor FF/WS (-vs- metal bowl) is not suitable for mounting under a bilge hatch with the batteries at the back of my boat. Guess I'll look at the metal, would be nice to get a visual inspection of water collecting in bowl instead of removing filter or draining.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same model Racor and love it, it has two in's and one out and came with one plug and no barbed fittings. I think that they ship with out barbed fittings for the same reason listed, different sized fuel lines and they are very cheap to pick up and the store. Mine is mounted below deck and I have had no problems with it, just make sure there is nothing bouncing around down there that would damage the plastic.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thought; seems like these filters could be rigged with quick connect fittings. I haven't done it but it's on my list.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again for the info - Radsrh ... just wondering where you purchased your filter and how often you have to change the element?

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got mine from marinefilters.com the price was 43.20 and I think it was 2-3days to my doorstep. The replacement filters are 13.50 and I change mine once a year.

Forktail

Ensign

You may want to consider putting shut-off valves in line with the fuel hose fittings. These Racor's will support dual tanks and dual outboards, so having the flexibility to alternate tanks is nice. There are some nice little shut-off's that connect right to the fittings you will be putting into the filter housing. ;)