Suzuki DF50 wont turn boat as tight as old 2-stroke did...

Don CS

Recruit
How can I get the motor to turn tighter?<br /><br />Is it a matter of installing a longer steering arm?<br /><br />Due to the nature of the work (boat shows) this oddball 14ft deep-v hull performs, I would like it if the motor would lay all the way over and push sideways, or as close to that as I can get.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advice.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DF50 wont turn boat as tight as old 2-stroke did...

I havent a clue, but how about unhooking the arm and turning motor by hand then compare steering rod travel to motor travel?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

There are generally two holes in the steering arm of outboards in this hp range, and a common rigging mistake is to attach the tie bar to the outer hole .The proper hole is the one closest to the engine.That may solve the problem.

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your steering system may be limiting the amount of swing of the engine side to side.<br />If it is tiller steered, you will just have to look around for another engine.<br />Otherwise Steelspike said it. Some engines do not turn as far side to side as others. <br />Think "safety" if this is the case; as in lawsuits.<br />But if you think of of it as safety, I am sure you will get a warm and fuzzy feeling each time you run into the dock.