Used motor question

phuzz

Recruit
I'm in the market for a used boat/motor. I'm going to look at a boat that has a 1980 25hp suzuki. My question is what kind of things to i look for to tell if this motor is in good shape and does anyone have any comments about this year/type motor? Any and all feed back would be great. Thanks

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Used motor question

Wow,<br /><br />Wide open question.<br />Will seller let you take the boat out for a test run?<br />Can you get access to maintenence records receipts?<br /><br />At the least<br />Run a compression test and check the lower unit lube.<br /><br />Compression ought to be in the 100+ psi area with cylinders reading within approximately 10% of each other.<br /><br />Lower unit lube should not be milky (water in it) or have chunks of metal in it.<br /><br />IS there a Suzie dealer near by that you trust? Parts & Service can be the difference between a Good and a Bad purchase.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

phuzz

Recruit

yeah he will let me take it out and run it. He said his brother is a marine mech. and that he does all the work on it. About how much and where can I get the tool to check the compresion?<br /><br />on anouther topic I have a late '78 25hp evinrude that i'm told the top main crank shaft seal is no good, how bad of a problem is that and would it be worth it to get it repaired?<br /><br />Thanks

phuzz

Recruit

Yes, I have a Suzuki deal near me actually a couple. One that I trust, that I don't know.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

Hi phuzz,<br /><br />You can get a compression gauge at any auto parts store (Napa, Autozone etc). anywhere from $15 on up depending how much you wanna spend.<br /><br />As to your JohnyRude. If your half way comforatable with a wrench, you can replace the seal by yourself. I strongly suggest you pick up a manual for you motor. (After market manuals available at the bottom of the page other sources might be your local OMC/Bomb dealer, Kencook.com and many others)<br /><br />If memory serves, replacing the top main is a pretty big job but it's not rocket science. If you have the confidence and the manual, I'm sure you can do it.<br /><br />Once started, if you need help, come back to this forum. There are many qualified guru's that hang here with the modest goal of trying to help.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!