Suzuki 8hp making wierd noise when in gear

mike17

Seaman Apprentice
I got a 1980 8hp Suzuki. I started it up and ran for awhile out on my boat. After a while it started to make kind of humming noise. While in neutral, it would not make the noise. But once i put in gear and pulled on the throttle it would start the humming noise. It got worse so i stopped using it and rowed back to shore.<br /><br />I also notice kind of a black smoke when pulling the throttle while in gear. Could just barely see it but it was there.<br /><br />Thanks ahead of time =)<br /><br />PS. I dont know much about boat motors~ Its my first boat motor and i dont wanna mess it up =/

NathanY

Commander
Re: Suzuki 8hp making wierd noise when in gear

Humming while in gear? Is there lube in the lower unit? As for the black smoke, you got me on that one, but someone here will know. But hopefully that is a starting point on the lower unit.

mike17

Seaman Apprentice

im pretty sure theres grease in the lower unit, but maybe it needs to be changed? dunno. and what would be best grease to buy? and where? =)

NathanY

Commander

I use Mercury brand lower unit lube, I buy it at my local marine dealer for about 5 bux a bottle.