How to clean carbs

cjg

Cadet
Can someone give me any clues on how to clean the carbs in my Yamaha 150 V6 1987.<br />I know the carbs are the problem but cannot find a manual to help me.<br />I have taken them off the motor but not apart as yet.<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to clean carbs

Hi, Savage.<br /><br />Go to the bottom of the page and click on Repair Manuals for an aftermarket manual.<br /><br />Not a good idea to work on an outboard without a manual. Experienced wrenches sometimes get away with it, but if you've not done it before you need the manual.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

NathanY

Commander

I like to take them completely apart and make sure that all the rubbers are gone and use a carb dip. Make sure that you have a manual to do this. You will also need a rebuild kit, but your carb will be just like brand new.

Bozo

Seaman

I agree with the carb. dip.<br /><br />I had to rebuild mine twice. The first time I tore them down and just used the spray cleaner and tried to get into every nook and cranny, put the back together and it still ran bad.<br /><br />I was convinced that it was anothe problem because I "knew" I had the carbs clean and rebuilt.<br /><br />To make a very long story short, a friend convinced me to clean them one more time before I bought a very expensive part. This time I soaked them in carb dip overnight before reassybling and it paid off. They were still dirty in places that I obviously couldn't get to with the spray stuff.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also, in addition to the above advice,it's very helpful if you can blow out the passages with compressed air if available.

cjg

Cadet

At last it works....<br />I took the carbs apart and gave them a quick clean<br />and now the motor runs fine. This has also solved the problem of not getting past 3500rpm.<br />As I am no mechanic nor have a manual I did not take them fully apart but whatever I did worked.<br />I would like to locate a workshop manual for future reference but cannot locate one in Australia and the links on this forum do not supply outside USA....can anyone help me locate a manual :)