What size trolling motor to get?

SMF

Cadet
I have been looking for a trolling motor, I thought a 4 to 6hp would be enough for my 17' seaswirl I/O 4.3l. I don't plan on any river fishing just lakes. I want a 4 stroke so I can use the main tank and not worry about the extra gas can. I had a dealer tell me I needed at least 8hp. I just remember fishing with my dad, 20' searay with a 7.5 merc. It was plenty big still had to use a trolling anchor.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br />Steve

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What size trolling motor to get?

What is the total weight of the boat loaded with people and gear. A little extra hp is nice to have in emergencies.<br /><br />Not going to fish the Columbia?

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would troll no less than a 9.9 to 15, so that if it gets a little choppy, you know that you have enough power to not need the big engine. <br /><br />Belchy

SMF

Cadet

Not going to fish the Columbia? Never say never.<br /><br />With the family, 30 gal of fuel, gear, food, I'm thinking about 3100lbs.<br />I'm still having sticker shock over the price of new outboards. I was hopeing to hear that 2hp is plenty :D . Is a 4 stroke the way to go? In 3 weeks of searching I have only found 1 used 8hp 4 stroke, but it sold to the 1st caller. I have located a used 2004 yamaha 8hp 4 stroke at a marina for $1200.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Outboard Non-repair discussions.