Gauge problem yamaha C150

graham6667

Recruit
I have a 1998 Yamaha C150 with MULTIFUNCTION SPEEDOMETER<br />Speed <br />Trip <br />Time <br />Fuel <br />Low-fuel warning - flashes on the lowest bar <br />Battery voltag reading - displays battery output (10-16 volts) and flashes the readout when the output falls below 12 volts <br />Part 6Y5-83570-S5-00 <br />Replaced dead battery now gauge is almost totally unreadable, segments missing, others very dim. Those you can make out indicat the guage is functioning, just can't readit. Almost as if missing ground. Any help appreciated as Big Y want $366+. Does anyon have a skematic?<br /><br />graham6667

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gauge problem yamaha C150

Hi Graham.<br /><br />Welcome to the board.<br /><br />This is an outboard question, so I am moving it there.<br /><br />It is illegal to transmit copyrighted material over the net. You need to get yourself a manual.<br /><br />Your symptoms are of a poor connection in the battery circuit.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

graham6667

Recruit

Thanks for moving to proper forum... agree that it sounds like a connection problem. can you recommend a place to buy a manual (with skematic) local dealer(s) no help as original went out of busineess. Boat origanlly had a problem of draining the battery within a couple of days. Local dealer rewired so that all circuits were turned off by switch (no keep alive on gauges). I did not agree at the time but is dad's boat. More than willing to buy maunal if I can get the skematic info as to the proper wiring. I would like to be able to bench test the gauge before having to pull any wiring out of the boat (Hurricane FunDeck)<br /><br />Thanks again

Capt Ken

Commander

The electrical problems you've had with the engine may have messed up the led on your gauge. There is no information in the yamaha book on the internal working of the gauge. As for the grounds, that's the black wires under the console and there should be bullet connectors on all of them. The pink wire isn't getting a signal from the fuel sender and that's why its blinking. If your voltage output is dropping below the 13 volt mark when running, then you have a charging problem that needs to be addressed. If the other gauge is reading fine, then the grounds coming from the engine is fine. I believe the orange wire is the constant power wire that keeps power on the gauge so the memory stays alive. In short, with the gauge on, check the voltage going to the gauge. If you have 12+ voltage and the gauge is still dim, its the gauge.