lower unit lube

barefoot1

Recruit
I have purchased a 1991 225hp Yamaha. The previous owner says that the yearly service has been done "professionally" and that he always pays extra for the synthetic gear lube. I asked him what brand and he said "Red Line". I am familiar with Red Line synthetic products, but is there a special lube for lower units?, is it a generic lube?, anybody have any idea what to use if I want to stay with Red Line? Engine has never had any repair to lower unit or power head, so he must be doing something right (500 hours). :confused:

Oil Man

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: lower unit lube

Barefoot,<br /><br />Congrats on the motor purchase!<br />As far as I know, Redline does not make a marine specific gear lube. If you want to stay with synthetic, check out www.ultimateoiltechnology.com/marine.htm for Amsoil marine lower unit gear lube. Full synthetic, and very reasonable price.<br /><br />Dave

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

This makes for some interesting reading on oil products. Kinda long, but informative!<br /><br /> web page

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FWIW, Lubrimatic makes a synthetic that you can get at walmart in the boating section. All the other marine lubes are usually found in the automotive section for whatever reason. I use the lubrimatic because it's what i bought the first time i needed some and i just decided to stick with it. <br /><br />make sure you get the synthetic, as they make a regular LU lube too and the bottles look very similar.

ob

Admiral

Penzoil also makes a Hi-Vis gear lube in a tube.