Frozen head bolts

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Related to my other post regarding 85hp Suzuki overheating, what is the best way to avoid<br />shearing frozen head bolts (thanks Topwater for the impact wrench suggestion) and what is the <br />way to extract them if they do.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Frozen head bolts

I don't know if Suzuki head bolts are prone to breaking either but if you're concerned, soak them all with a good penetrating oil, NOT WD-40. I use Kroil but most people can't find that so try PB Blaster. I've never used that brand but it's suppose to be good caca.If you twist one off, check the "search" feature here and find out all about removal.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Topwater

Cadet

Back again, have you tried them yet they may all just come right out.. another good way is to take a clicker Torque wrench and set it 5 lbs above the the torque rate.. If it clicks then worry about that bolt being froze.. but they may just come out before the click and you will know that you are not putting too much force on them until it clicks.. I donot think you will get any solvents down to the Threads on a head bolt that in place.. If you break one then you will just have to drill it and use a easy out or if the head of bolt brakes off once the head is removed you can grab it with vise grips and Penetrating oil will work then to help free it. Also if the motor is runable you have a better chance of removing the bolts on a hot engine.. The Alum.. will grow faster then the steel and give you some relief.. The hole gets bigger than the bolt.. as it heat up faster.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys for the replies. I got the head off with a lot of heat, patience, and an impact wrench. About 5 of the 14 would not budge by hand without excessive force but 4 came off with extended hammering of the impact wrench. Alas 1 did break at the head. I was able to drill it out. Once I got the head off and some solvent behind the threads it came out with a pair of vice grips.