Yamaha rough at low speed

pcs9119

Cadet
I have a 1999 Yamaha 130HP Saltwater Series outboard that runs real rough from 0-10 MPH. When I throttle up, it runs like a top.<br />Could this be a simple carb adjustment?<br />Any advice greatly appreciated.<br />Pete in FL

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha rough at low speed

Simple answer, if it use to run smooth like it sets but just recently started running rough, no,adjustment usually won't work. If it has always run rough, maybe. I would first check compression then spark. If both of those checked out OK, then probably the low speed jets in the carbs are dirty. They are teenie tiny things anyway and easy to become fouled.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

100% agree with Capt Ken.<br />First make sure that your working with a fundamenatlly sound motor. Check compression- all cylinders should read within 10% of each other. Confirm good spark on all. <br />IF above checks out, then onto the carbs.<br />Stronghly suggest aquiring a service manual. Personal opinion- I have used Clymer, (WAY TOO GENERIC) and Seloc (a bit better then Clymer). Get your hands on a factory manual if you can (they're out there somewhere).<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Have Fun

D

DJ

p schmidt,<br /><br />I had a Suzuki DT 140 that was prone to those symptoms. It was always the carb. jets. :( <br /><br />No matter how fresh/clean I kept the fuel, it was a seasonal job to clean the low speed jets. :mad:

pcs9119

Cadet

Thanks to all for input.<br /><br />Assuming problem is dirty low speed jets, is there a fuel additive that will clean them? If not, is this something I could do myself - I have no outboard experience :( . Would a manual be necessary?<br />Thanks again to all.<br />pete

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

pete,<br /><br />Yes, you can do it. Just take your time and get the manual.