2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Zachdog

Cadet
In the market for a 225HP range outboard and choosing between a 2 and 4 stroke. I understand the 4 stroke is quieter, more fuel and oil efficient, and can be run at WOT without worry, but that it has less power in the mid and high end than a 2 stroke. I've also heard that Yamaha's HPDI (high pressure direct injection) technology is very good. Any thoughts/advice?<br /><br />Thanks.

ob

Admiral
Re: 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Zachdog,To prevent WWIII do a search under 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.You'll find a world of info and maybe more.

Zachdog

Cadet

Ob--good advice. Did a search and found lots of helpful posts. Bottom line on this board seems to be that people prefer 4 stroke EFI, the HPDI technology is pretty good, and I should just go test drive one of each.

ob

Admiral

Zachdog,You'll find after test that both "new" motors will perform good.Different but good.4 stroke will be no doubt quieter.Bottom line is when all is said and done is long term dependability,price of parts and service,availability of parts and service,and resale value.With all of that said , I wish you good luck in your selection and recommend you buy from a dealer whom you trust will work out any bugs and be straight forward.