STERRING QUESTION?

nailsetter54

Cadet
I am replacing my old steering which is over 20 years old and is a rack type system. Was wondering which is better a no feed back rack system or a no feed back rotary system. Any advice on this would be great thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: STERRING QUESTION?

Boy are you gonna get swampped with opinions.<br /><br />Watch this -- I like the non "no-feed back" systems. Especially on anything over 50 mph. And a dual rack system in that case.<br /><br />(Hear the "swoosh"? That was the can of worms opening.)

nailsetter54

Cadet

I it make a difference the boat is a 16' v-hull with a walk-thru windsheild with a 50 hp engine.

KRS

Banned

Sterndrive?<br /><br />Outboard motor?

Bondo

Staff member

I am replacing my old steering which is over 20 years old and is a rack type system.
Changing over to a Rotary helm will No Doubt lead to Clearence Issues,......Somewhere........<br /><br />It's Usually Space Issues,...... Rather than Which is Better than What............<br /><br />If you Don't have Power Steering,...... The No Feed-Back is the Way to Go............

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by nailsetter54:<br /> It is a stern drive,outboard engine
It helps when everybody is talking the Same language....... :rolleyes: <br /><br />A Sterndrive is an Inboard/ Outboard,.....ei;,.. Mercruiser,... Volvo,.... OMC,...etc.....<br />It consists of an Engine that looks like a Car Motor,+ the Outdrive portion...........<br /><br />An Outboard is a Self-contained marine propulsion system that's Bolted onto the Outside of the Transom of a boat..............<br /><br />
with a 50 hp engine.
That's No Doubt,......... An Outboard Motor..............<br /><br />With that said,..........<br />The Answer you're Looking For,.... Is My post Above.........

nailsetter54

Cadet

Thank for the lesseon, as you can tell new to boats. whats the difference between a rack system and a no feed back rack thanks for all the info

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There are two basic types of mechanical push-pull steering systems. A rotary and a rack & pinion. Both can be "feed back" or "no feed back".<br /><br />The "feed back" style is prefered on performance hulls with outboards. It's a control issue when at speed. You need the feel to know what the motor is doing as far as steering torque. Especially with a pad bottom style hull. You have to constantly make very small moves with the wheel to "balance" the boat on the pad. Any slack in the steering and you are subject to chine walk. A dual cable system is preferred to eliminate slop. <br /><br />"No feed back" systems are preferred on boats that dont require a lot of driver input at speed. They have a lot of the same characteristics of hydraulic steering. Where ever you set the wheel, it will stay until you move it. Very easy on long trips.<br /><br />If your boat is the 16' with the 50, the "no feed back" single cable system will work fine. As Bondo mentioned, space dictates a rotary or rack system. In years past, a rack typically had less slop than a rotary. I'm not so sure that applies to todays units. Both are pretty good in your application.

nailsetter54

Cadet

THANKS Dhadley sounds like my best bet would be to go with the no feed back rack system so guess thats what i will be putting in. Thank for all the info

nailsetter54

Cadet

UPDATE <br />WELL GOT MY NEW NO FEED BACK RACK STEERING TODAY AND PUT IT ON TONIGHT. IT SEEM TO GO PRETTY GOOD EXCEPT HAD TO MAKE A FEW ADJUSTMENT WITH THE HOLES IN THE DASH BUT EVERYTHING TURN OUT ALRIGHT. NOW FOR THE BUT., IT TURN MUCH BETTER BUT IT SEEM TO TURN A LITTLE MORE ONE WAY THEN THE OTHER. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WHEN I PUT THE RACK ONTO THE HELM THAT I MIGHT OF MOVE THE GEAR AND WHEN I INSTALLED IT IT WAS OFF CENTER AND DID NOT MATCH UP RIGHT WITH THE HELM SO THAT THE ENGINE TURNS MORE ONE WAY THEN THE OTHER OR IS IT JUST ME AND I NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY HAIR PIN TURN WITH THE BOAT? ANY FEED BACK ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS