Moving a boat with a Lawnmower?

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 17ft SeaJay boat that weighs approx 1100lbs, I can move the boat on level concrete and lift the tongue myself. My dilemma is that the place where I need to store the boat would be hard to get a truck backed into there but I could pull in with a riding lawnmower. It is a 15 to 20 degree incline for 20 feet or so on grass. My question is, has anyone moved a boat with a lawnmower and had success and if so what HP has been used or what is recommended. On a second note the mower would be used just for moving the boat. I would be purchasing a used mower just for moving the boat. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Moving a boat with a Lawnmower?

Alot of marine dealers use riding mowers to pull rigs around.

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My old boat i had was a 14' bayliner, i'm guessing around 1,000 lbs. I used to move it around my paved driveway with an old, small 8 or 10hp riding lawnmower. It worked fine in low gear, but then again it was a small boat. It was a funny sight, but very maneuverable. I would sugguest something a little bigger and heavier for your situation, since you will be using it on grass/incline..i think you should look for something around 14/16 hp..and keep in mind lawn tractors sit alot lower than trucks do, so make sure you will be able to mount the ball high enough on the tractor, that the trailer and trailer jack clear the ground.

nlain

Commander

15 to 20 degree incline on grass, uphill or downhill, if up you may have wheel spin on grass, if down will the mower be heavy enough to hold the boat or will the boat pull it down hill? Just something to think about.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I use an old 11 HP/5 speed MTD to move my Alumacraft Navigator 165CS/75HP Merc but I'm on a fairly level concrete driveway. Power is not the problem. Whatever tractor you get for this job better have something other than turf tires and with a 15-20 degree incline to contend with, it better have good brakes. As with any towing job, pulling it is one thing, stopping the load is quite another. Going up-hill I would recommend one of your kids sit on the hood or else make a couple hundred pound weight to hold the front end down -- on that incline it will come up. I speak from experience.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'd look for a cheap old 4-wheeler to do the job...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I had a simular problem years ago. I attached a piece of angle iron to the front of our station wagon and mounted a ball on it. I was then able to push the trailer without backing. Worked like a charm.

bigNATE®

Cadet

I use a old simplicity 7116 hydro to move all kinds of trailers around, I hve also used it more then once to LAUNCH and RRETRIEVE some smaller 12-16' aluminum boats up at the cottage, most are under 500 pounds though<br />
al_7116.jpg

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by justaboatin:<br /> I have a 17ft SeaJay boat that weighs approx 1100lbs, I can move the boat on level concrete and lift the tongue myself. My dilemma is that the place where I need to store the boat would be hard to get a truck backed into there but I could pull in with a riding lawnmower. It is a 15 to 20 degree incline for 20 feet or so on grass. My question is, has anyone moved a boat with a lawnmower and had success and if so what HP has been used or what is recommended. On a second note the mower would be used just for moving the boat. I would be purchasing a used mower just for moving the boat. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I have a great idea.<br /><br />If the incline is too steep for a mover or 4 wheeler why don't you hook up an electric winch.<br /><br />You could use one from a boat trailer or SUV. I'm sure you could find a used one. In fact I have one I need to get rid of. 12V though.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by cart7:<br /> Alot of marine dealers use riding mowers to pull rigs around.
Yes, but on level ground (usually pavement). Doing this on an incline could be pretty dangerous.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Upinsmoke:<br /> I would recommend one of your kids sit on the hood ..........
No, not one of your kids. :eek: <br />Pretty dangerous for the kid and if the kid gets scared and jumps (or falls) off, then the tractor can flip.<br /><br />A fixed attached weight would be the only safe solution here.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by justaboatin:<br /> I have a 17ft SeaJay boat that weighs approx 1100lbs, I can move the boat on level concrete and lift the tongue myself. My dilemma is that the place where I need to store the boat would be hard to get a truck backed into there but I could pull in with a riding lawnmower. It is a 15 to 20 degree incline for 20 feet or so on grass. My question is, has anyone moved a boat with a lawnmower and had success and if so what HP has been used or what is recommended. On a second note the mower would be used just for moving the boat. I would be purchasing a used mower just for moving the boat. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott
15 to 20 degrees is about the safe limit for a lawn tractor without pulling or pushing a boat. I would be looking for plan "B".

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!<br /><br />I may have been misjudging on the 15 – 20 degrees. Below is a link to a pictures if my house where I would be storing the boat. In the left of the picture pushing it to the back of the house is where I would be putting the boat. The picture was taken standing in the road so I would be coming across in front of the two trees. <br /><br />I have a 15ft Jon boat that I currently push there by hand but the ski boat is heavier… I tried to use my truck (S10) to put the Jon boat back there but it spun the tires on the grass and puts ruts unless the ground is super dry and hard, that is why a thought a lawn mower in low gear would have better luck.<br /><br /> http://www.scotthogle.com/house.jpg

nlain

Commander

Looks like a problem to me, if the S10 spun tires moving jon boat I don't think the mower will be able to move the heavier boat in soft turf. The trailer wheels will sink into the turf and then the mower probably won't have the weight to push thru without spining the tires.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by justaboatin:<br /> I have a 15ft Jon boat that I currently push there by hand but the ski boat is heavier… I tried to use my truck (S10) to put the Jon boat back there but it spun the tires on the grass and puts ruts unless the ground is super dry and hard, that is why a thought a lawn mower in low gear would have better luck.<br />
I've been through this before and there's something you may not be considering. You have to be able to not only STORE the boat back there, but also RETRIEVE it in the spring.<br /><br />The ground may be nice and hard in the fall but it's going to be nice and soft in the spring. If you can only reach the spot with a lawn tractor, that's what's going to have to pull it out when the conditions may be tougher.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, you could always put you a small driveway there on that side of the house....either gravel or concrete. At least that way you could use the S10 to move the boats.<br /><br />Or you could get an old, used tractor, something a little bigger and powerful than a riding lawn mower. Still might eventually rut up the yard though, depending on how much you used it.<br /><br />Lastly, there are these little powered dollies that are used to move small aircraft, etc., and boats too at times. Not sure how they would work on grass though. Might be worth checking into though.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As everyone has said, the problem is traction, not power. A few years ago my van broke down 2 blocks from home and I used my small riding lawn mower to tow it home. Really funny sight.<br /><br />Had what looks like similar incline and I had some problems with traction, and that was on concrete.<br /><br />I also have to question the 1100# rating. <br />Don't know anything about your model but my gut says it weighs a lot more. Consider the weight of the boat, trailer, gas, motor, anchor, etc. An all too common subject here is that people way underestimate the weight of what they are pulling.<br /><br />Regarding traction - I have been bouncing around the idea of putting cement blocks in the ground with the voids showing to create a path. The tops would be flush with the grass. Then fill the voids with rocks mixed with dry cement then wet.<br /><br />Should look nice and with 2 lines of blocks you could have something to support the trailer wheels and give traction to the lawnmower.<br /><br />Don't know if this would work for you, but it is a thought.