Replacing Rivets

marcengillb

Cadet
I just read the debate over weld verses aluminum,I have a tracker riveted boat,my question is when you loose a rivet or it comes loose how do you replace it and with what?

deeep water

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing Rivets

well if you have a realy good hardware store nearby they should have loose rivets ,,it takes alittle practice but you can learn to use a dolly and ballpean hammer ,it might take another person inside the boat ,it a good beer drinking project

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drill out the old rivet. Get a rivet gun with the correct set and a bucking bar. Good time to call in any favors the marina manager might owe you; ask if you can borrow the tools. I'd also make sure you get the correct rivet for that application. There are hundreds of different shapes, sizes and alloys of rivets out there. Buy a bunch of extra rivets and practice on some scrap first. It usually takes a few rivets to get the gun set up right. It's not a difficult thing as long as you take the time to do it right.

jippie98

Seaman

I am looking at the same repair on my mirrocraft. The alum keel has 4 rivets that will spin in place and need to be replaced. Can you use SS bolts with 5200 to repair these after they are drilled out? Rivet tools will be very hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might also call the boat manufacturer and ask if there any blind rivets that they would recommend for that area of your boat.

Trent

Captain

Most any aircraft mechanic will have the tools and the rivits to replace the loose/missing rivits in your boat. Go to your local airport and talk to the aircraft mechanic.

samsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by marcengillb:<br /> I just read the debate over weld verses aluminum,I have a tracker riveted boat,my question is when you loose a rivet or it comes loose how do you replace it and with what?
Loose rivets can sometimes be tightened up. One person holds a hammer against one side of the rivet while another person taps it back tight from the other side. Sam

marcengillb

Cadet

Thanks for the advise but i'm not any better off than I was ,I can,t get to the inside of the boat or to the inside of the rivet.(Whats a bucking bar)?I have already replaced a couple of rivets with ss bolts,just forced them in with some silicone,they tightined up good doesent leak,I have two more leaking and I borrowed some large flange alum rivets with steel mandrel I,m going to try them tomorow.Im glad my bildge pump works good.

Koda

Cadet

I purchased blind closed head rivets to replace the loose ones on my starcraft boat, buy one size over existing, drill out the old and use a good sealent,reasonable in price and are carried by a lot of bolt,nut, and rivet supplers.<br />Luck David