Fish Finder

stemar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br />I just installed the "Humminbird 100sx" fish finder and I tested it yesterday. The problem is that allthough I followed the installation instruction very carefully, I do not get anything on the screen on high speeds and when thy are a lot of waves. Is this normal or something wrong with the fishfinder?<br />Thank you very much

Trent

Captain
Re: Fish Finder

Thats just why I hate those birds....They all do that. Sorry

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi, Wide one hundreds and 100sx's pretty much suck for high speed readings.. I know as I have one too..<br /><br />however, you can get reasonable performance from them.. you just have to fiddle..<br /><br />sometimes a in hull mounting will work better then external, put some thick gel on the hull of your boat (if its fiberglass, if alloy, forget it.) sit your transducer on the gel and go fast, (get someone else to steer :) see if you get a reading.. <br /><br />If its no better try changing the placement on the transom.. leave the brackets loose and try changing the angle while moving, see if the situation improves..<br /><br />The problems with these models isn't that they don't work, its that they have a narror margin of error, much narrorer then other brands or even other hummingbird models..<br /><br />So you have two choices, find the middlepoint angle of slow and fast and put it there, or buy a bigger transducer (they do sell them.)<br /><br />I was able to get reasonable results by fiddling with mine, but it took alot of trail and error.. and it still doesn't work at full on top speed. (but thats pretty quick so I wasn't really expecting it.)<br /><br />anyway, just try different placements.. go out on your boat and look for the place of least turbulance behind the transom,, mark that spot with a felt tip pen... then mark the water level on the transom at speed.. <br /><br />if you can keep the transducer facing down and a tiny bit forward of the transom at plane, you will get it working.. <br /><br />rgds<br /><br />frank<br /><br />PS, the other way to get it working is to get another standard transducer and have a high speed and slow speed transducer.. and a switch to swap them, but its better to just get a 2 beam or wide angle transducer and you will have less issues with it..<br /><br />hope all this helps.. but don't expect to much, Hummingbirds generally suck and I will never buy another.. I contacted their tech support and they just kept saying it was my fault and restating what was in the instruction manual.. (I wanted it functional from stationary to top speed, apparently thats to much to ask..) :-(

stemar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Frank your reply.<br />Yes indeed Humminbird sucks, but in my country they have good "repputation" Anyway If I understand well I will try to install the tranducer inside the boat (its fiberglass) and at the backside of the boat. Does it matter if it's in the middle or at the sides? My engine is OB. I<br />Thanks again for you detail answer.