Battery testing - desulphating chargers - Battery MINDer

I recently read about the Battery MINDer which is a charger/desulphater which can restore a battery from the brink of death - guaranteed! Could there be ny truth to this "smart" charger? <br />Also - when checking your battery's fluid level - how much distilled water should you add if you are low? I filled up an old battery fairly high (about 1/2 inch from top)and after attaching it to my 10amp charger - it started to leak out the top - is this normal or dangerous? What should I do next.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Battery testing - desulphating chargers - Battery MINDer

Hi Doug<br /><br />Fluid is to cover the plates in the battery cells. Some batteries have a marker on the battery outside and are made so, that the level can be checked visually. You should never overfill as the fluid needs some 'working room' and eventually will leak. This fluid (acid) is quite agressive. Also remember to provide ventilation as charging generates fumes.<br /><br />Charging your battery is not only a matter of providing power. To do it right involves a controlled charge. The standard charging system on a motor checks for voltage and regulates on this - no matter the capacity (ampere hours) of the battery is not yet 100%. This is why, a flat battery can never be charged to 100% by the charging system. Some external chargers work the same way, some has build in programs that cuts the charge down but maintains a constant low charge at all times and some are more sophisticated, using programmed charge algorithms to help (boost) the battery. Some chargers even have the ability of supplying short periods of very high power for jump starting. The time needed for charging is connected to both the charge power (amps) and the way of charge as mentioned above.<br /><br />Do also remember, that batteries for starting a motor (short highpower demand) are made differently from batteries meant for running other devices (lamps, electronics etc.) that consume low amounts over a longer time.<br /><br />If you carry two batteries, it might be best to use one for each purpose and connect an automatic device to handle separation and charge (prevents accessories from using your starting power and makes sure both gets charged optimally with priority to your starting battery).<br /><br />As in all respects, proper preparation and talking to professionals will help you to decide.<br /><br />Regarding batteries/power supply you might find good resources in workshops that copes with marine and/or truck electrics.<br /><br />It need not be expensive, but tends to..

Re: Battery testing - desulphating chargers - Battery MINDer

Thanks for the informative response. Very helpful!<br />I am considering the purchase of a battery combiner and/or a battery isolator so the I can keep my engine bank seperate from my house loads. Is there an inexpensive way to do this?<br />I have one Starting battery and one that indicates that it is a starter and a deep cycle combo battery.