Rowboat to Fishing boat ?

TonyM

Cadet
Hello all.<br /><br />I have a 14' aluminum Starcraft rowboat. It's a semi-V with (3) bench seats.<br /><br />I'm using this boat to fish a small lake/pond (72 acres) for Bass and trout. <br /><br />Powered by a Minn Kota 50lb thrust trolling motor (no gas allowed).<br /><br />My question - how can I make this little boat more of a "fishing" boat ? <br /><br />Should I add seats, flooring ?<br /><br />Should I move the trolling motor to the bow (with an adapter) ?<br /><br />Any ideas ? Suggestions ?

crab bait

Captain
Re: Rowboat to Fishing boat ?

welcome to the show, TONY M ... yes .allof the above !! the skies the limit.. it is all up to you & i how much time & money .. floor is nice in a vee bottom .. also swivel seats mounted to the bench is good. it's your boat TONY ,, fix it up just how you want !! IT'S A BLAST..

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you may do what I have done.<br />I had a 14 ft v, I took the bench seats out, put in wiring, floor, carpet, 2 pedestal seats, bow mount troller, added lights, bilge, bow storage for battery. Took a lot of work. I used 7/16 for floor. Painted the boat, looks pretty good now. I even got a compliment on the lake. Taking the bench seats out was a pain. Filled the holes from the rivets w/ J/B weld, sanded smooth. Make sure you reinforce the floor where you are going to put the seats in. Use Lag bolts to mount the pedestals. You don't want those coming loose.<br /><br />Dman

TonyM

Cadet

Dman, sounds nice - got any pictures ?<br /><br />Thanks !!!

harleydyna

Cadet

Dman, I'm doing the same with my 15 ft aluminum. I have foam under my bench seats. I've taken out the front one already, and fashioned a plywood bow and carpeted it. A cooler fits real nice under it. If I take out my other 2 seats, should I put foam somewhere to retain the flotation aspects? Also, will a wood floor make the boat real heavy? It'll be pushed with a 25 HP evinrude. I've got plenty of time to work on it. It's my 'retirement boat" even though I'm only in my 50's still !!

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought of the floatation issue...but originally, before I decked it, It didn't have any. I'm not too worried about it. <br />As for weight, depends how you build. I used 2x2's in many areas for support. Supports must be placed obviously down the middle of boat-full length. Under the seats must be reinforced--use lag bolts for mounting the seats. <br />MAKE SURE you have all the wiring in place BEFORE putting the floor in. Believe me.

D

DJ

Dman,<br /><br />Sounds like a fun priject. My advice, take your time and plan things out. You've got some great advice already. Here are some things to think about.

D

DJ

Dman,<br /><br />Sorry, hit the wrong key before I was finished. :eek: <br /><br />1. Since this is a tiller, consider just splitting the back bench seat. You will retain some flotation and still have walk through access to the back.<br /><br />2. To retain some flotation, consdider bulding boxes along the sides, part can be foam filled and part storage. This will also retain hull integrity.<br /><br />3. Put foam in the floor. use "closed cell". You can buy it at home improvement stores. It goes by the name-Great Stuff.<br /><br />4. 1/2" plywood is plenty for a floor. Any grade plywood will do as long as you seal it with epoxy. I like the West System products. They're available at: wwew.westmarine.com<br /><br />Have fun! :)