storage

jclay

Recruit
Does anyone know if I can cut open the 'box' that my port and starboard, back to back seats sit on. I have a '94 20ft Bayliner Capri Cuddy. It seems to be a huge hollow fiberglass box. It would create alot of storage if I could safely open the side of it. Or would this weaken the supports for the seats?

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: storage

You may have already checked this - but if you have not - Try lifting the seats off the box.<br /><br />I had an old fiberglass boat (If I recall, it was a '62 Newman) - that had fiberglassed wood boxes, then the boat seats had a frame on them that sat around the edge of the box, and they just lifted off.<br /><br />G'Luck!<br />Rex S.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey jclay,<br />First,welcome to tha board. Glad ta have you.<br />You can probably us the space under the seats for storage. I would start with a small (hand size) hole in the middle of one side. That way you can tell how sturdy the seat base is and go from there. If it ain't gonna work, you only have a small hole to repair.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

If you want to make sure, that you do no harm to the boat (and whatever function these rooms may have for boyancy etc.) and still can use the space when you want to, get an inspection hatch (ie. http://www.allboatbrokers.com/mall/...d=676292968&current_category=inspection hatch). They are available in many sizes and shapes. When closed they are tight. You fit a frame around the cutout so it'll keep it's strengh. If done with care, it will look pro and preserve your boats value.

jclay

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome. I did take the seats off and drilled a small hole in the top to see what was in there. It appeared to be hollow and possibly filled with loose fiberglass shavings, I imagined this was used for bouyancy. Since I'm desperate for more storage, I'm going to go ahead and try cutting the side open. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know what's happens.