1981 Glastron 16'

joker

Cadet
I am trying to make up my mind about buying this boat. I was wondering if you think $2800.00 is a good price. It has a 115hp outboard motor and runs good. The reason I'm debating on what to do is I have a chance to get a 1983 Galaxie with a 140hp johnson outboard boat for a free, but it has not ran for 11yrs. Any suggestions on what to do.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1981 Glastron 16'

Well....almost a no brainer. Take the free boat. Even if it has set for 11 years I am sure the $2800 you saved will cover the repairs. The 140 Johnson is a great engine aven at sitting for years. OR get both! Sell the lesser of the two evils after you clean them up and try them. <br /><br />Option 3 Let someone know where they can pick up this free boat! :D <br /><br />Bob

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Bob's got it right, who turns down a free boat. I remember when I brought my first boat home to my wife. A 69'Larson tri-hull with a Johnson 33hp. The guy had used 2x4's for flooring so you could only get one person in it without taking water in. I overhauled it completely with new floors, seats, electronics, and engine maintainence. Worked great for the few years I had it and then sold it for $500 bucks to a buddy of mine. Take the free boat and see what you can do with it. Or like Bob said, get both, one to boat with now and the other as a project. I'm sure you will make out.

joker

Cadet

The only thing is the free boat belongs to a family member. Once we get it going he will want to use it all the time. He was just lazy when it came to getting it worked on. The body of the boat is in good shape, but I just don't know if it is worth the trouble of dealing with him and his family. The motor had trouble before. It has been in the boat shop several times when it would not start the last time he just put it up and left there. It might have been in a couple of floods. It sat in a garage where the flood waters were above the garage. I just don't want to get into a money pit. I also don't think I can get him to sign over the title, he would want to know if we can get it running first. But my main question is $2800.00 for the 1981 Glastron a good price or not?

495v

Chief Petty Officer

That's a predicament there Joker. I would still take it and see what you can do with it. I guess that's the price of giving it to you for free. After you get it working, just tell him the flux capacitor is malfunctioning or something like that. Do both of you have vehicles that can tow it or just you?

joker

Cadet

We both have trucks to pull. He also has a house on the river he uses on a regular basis. He also has two married sons with children. So it would be a constant let me use the boat this weekend thing then if the mess it up I'm stuck fixing it again.

rogerwa

Commander

Offer him a few bucks ($100) and then it is yours and he will see the error of his ways when you get it running..

joker

Cadet

I agree about offering him some money, but I'm not going to mess with it until I have title in hand. Still does anyone know if the Glastron boat for $2800.00 is a good price or not? It is a 1981, motor was overhaul 3 years ago. The only thing that bugs me is if I am going to have problem with the motor being a 115hp and they bored it out to a 120hp.

here's the link for NADA<br /><br /> http://www2.nadaguides.com/ValueMod...R&GCode=MO&wSec=4&wPg=1105&Com=0425&Year=1981 <br /><br />You'll have to also look up the motor and add that to the price of the boat. <br /><br />Just remember. Life is balance. You get a free boat, you might pay in other ways. If always being "on call" to take out the boat after you worked to get it running is worth the cash, take the free boat. If money isn't more valuable than your sanity and time, buy the glastron. I've heard they rule.<br /><br />In the end, do what feels right.

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stop talking about the free boat! I have to get rid of one of my 4 boats before I can do that again.<br /><br />I bought a 17 Checkmate for $900 with a Merc 150. The boat is sad though. Dull and seats are shot. I figured the motor and trailer are worth more. I about got it running ok, but the transom has a bad spot in it so I am not sure what I will do with it. It is ok for now and motor is stiff, but interior is very expensive. I like the way it handles and looks. Big motors seem to cost more up here in MI.<br /><br />If they can prove the motor history and the hull is good(a problem here in MI, but motors get little use here)and you do not have to replace the interior-$2800 might be good. Check out other boats to compare, that is what I do.

joker

Cadet

Sho305 The Glastron for $2800.00 is in good shape. The seats were all redone about 5 years ago and there is no tears or holes in them. The hull is also in good shape. The motor runs good and was overhauled 3 yrs ago. It is a Charge, Chrysler 115hp which I know nothing about. Most likely we will be buying it this weekend after a test run on the river.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Considering that Chrysler stpped making outboards in 1984 that means the engine is 18 years old at it's youngest...that also means the boat is older too. Either you reconcile and come to a firm agreement with your family or keep shopping.<br /><br />Bob

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Bob's got a point!<br /><br />In my oppinion a Chrysler is a good as no engne at all. If you get one, prepare to replace it before long.<br /><br />If you fancy the idea of being your own captain, don't ever get involved in part or shared ownerships. Keep the piece of mind (and family) and go by yourself.<br /><br />Worst case scenario you'll do all the work, pay all the bills and take all the trouble for a boat belonging to a relative who does nothing but using it. And guess who's blamed whenever something is not working..?<br /><br />If you wan't a boat in the 16 range, there are lots to buy 2nd hand. Give'm a good examination, and try to avoid falling in love with any as it will ruin your judgement. Any outboard that has been 'opened' for renovation or alike calls for extra precaution. Among the brands still in the market there should be no problems with even older motors if they are well maintained.

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I would have to agree with all that. If I were buying for the long term I would go Johnson/Evinrude, maybe Merc. A Chrysler should be very cheap, and you should be good with wrenches too. I have one, but hope to sell it before running it.

joker

Cadet

Thank you all for ya'lls help. Took the boat out this past Saturday with the owner and it Started right up and ran great. Had it out on the water for about 4 to 5 hours and no problems. We decided to buy the Glastron at a lower prices and we are very pleased with it. Took it out Sunday by ourselves and ran it for about 3 hours and same thing, started right up and ran smoothly. After running it on full throttle for long periods of time it would idle smoothly also. I was in dought about the Chrysler motor at first, but after this weekend and after talking to the local Boat shop I feel we made the right decision. Again thanks for your replies.