What should I do to prepare my boat for the ocean?

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,<br /><br />I have a 14' center console tri-hull boat with a 4' beam. The boat has a 1986 30hp Mariner engine on it- the boat is rated for a 40hp.<br /><br />I have a cell phone, flares, good life jackets, compass, a horn, nav. lights, depth sounder, 100' ancore rope, small bilge pump, first aid kit, tool kit, electric trolling motor mounted on back as well (although I bet it wouldnt do much in the ocean).<br /><br />Ive been out in the ocean bay before (Casco Bay, Portland Maine) and I stay within the islands, but what are some tips to make sure I have a good, safe trip? I fear my engine will die out there, what would I do? If im in a lake and the engine dies who cares, I wont get taken out to sea! Thanks for the help.<br /><br />-John

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What should I do to prepare my boat for the ocean?

John, with all respect, if I was contemplating an ocean run I would do a coastguard course to whatever level they suggest. This would in turn show you what is the minimum required. I go to sea a lot, sometimes 100km off the coast and there is no quick way I can explain the necessarys here. I would like to but there's so much to learn. Best second bet is to go with someone who has already got the experience and learn that way<br />Good luck<br />Ross

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

J, in my opinion, you are pushing it going in the ocean with a 14 ft. length and 4 ft. beam. Waves are your main enemy, and from what you are describing, your boat won't hold up to them very well.<br /><br />I recommend you be verrrrrry careful, and pick your days.<br /><br />I would also follow the bigger boats wherever you go, and stick close to them, so that they could rescue you if your boat got into trouble with the waves, and sinks/flips.

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

Well its an inland area, many 14 foot boats out and about, again sticking around the islands and following the coastline it can be very peaceful. The boat does very well in rougher water, ive been out in swells large enough that once in them you cannot see anything but the wave ahead. The boat is very worthy of the bay.<br /><br />My father retired from the coast guard many years ago and has been on the waterfront a majority of his life, being involved in lobstering, ect. He told me there is no reason to be afraid of taking this boat out in the bay, just watch the weather and use common sense.<br /><br />Sorry for the long reply, I do know 14ft center console isnt a large boat- but I know its limitations and respect the ocean. A little common sense goes a long ways.<br />-John

crab bait

Captain

ROSS speaks true .. " the boating coarse" is a good one , it's held everywhere & all-the-time.it's actually fun & interestin'.. D O T H I S F I R S T

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

Actually we have a coast guard class comming up where i work, I may listen in on this but due to my schedual I dont think I can actually sign up. Thanks so far for the tip.<br />-John

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

J,<br />I agree with SeaDawg, you'r really pushing it with a 14 footer in the ocean. It not a big enough boat to take the waves. Even on a calm day, it only takes one over the back to get you into trouble. I sold my "unsinkable" 17 footer because I wanted to go out in the ocean more, but it simply did not have the free board to keep the waves out. No boating class can fix this, you need to know the limitations of your boat. :)

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

I need to keep reminding people that this is not the wide open ocean, it is protected by a chain of 100 islands along the coast, there are many 14' boats out here, no troubles. If I was to venture offshore- yes 14' is too small. You guys are getting confused with bay vs. offshore here.<br />-John

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

As the boat itself is not your concern and a 14' does not have very much room, the best advice is to get knowledge (the course) and to make sure your equipment is up to it's best. An outboard that has been taken proper care of provides an unbelieveable stamina and copes with running conditions nobody would have thought. Make sure your other gear is as good as can be for your use and get a marine radio (handheld waterproof VHF) (+license). In the worst of situations your phone might fail and definately wont work if submerged. For extra safety you could invest in one of those safety devices, that automatically sends strobe lights, radio signal or your actual position (GPS) in case of an emergency. Severals models are on the market and although not cheap, it's good value if it saves your butt.. ;O

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

Practice man overboard drill !!!!!!!!!1