has anyone ever tried epoxy appliance paint?

I was at Pep boys and saw a spray can of epoxy appliance paint. I guess you would use it to paint refridgerators and stoves. I keep reading about how epoxy is the way to go. What do you think of this option? <br /><br />My boat is a '68 glastron in original avocado green so as long as I can track down a can from the Brady Bunch era, I'll be in business. Actually, I'm gonna paint it white.<br /><br />The best part is that it's only $4.00 a can.

paintermn

Seaman
Re: has anyone ever tried epoxy appliance paint?

G.B., Unless you are painting just some very small part of your boat it won't work.<br />While epoxy will work for top-side boat painting, you will never be able to make a big job look right with a can. Plus it would be very very expensive that way.<br /><br />You would be far better off buying real boat paint and real spray equipment either conventional or an HVLP sprayer.<br /><br />Try to find rental equipment or hire an automotive shop perhaps.<br /><br />The problem with cans is that while the may appear cheap at first they only contain about 2% actual paint.<br /><br />Good luck.

crab bait

Captain

also epoxy paint really can't handle the sun ( uv ) it gets chaulky..

wow only 2% paint? that sucks. <br /><br />Okay about the chalky business. I've read countless posts that say epoxy paint is the only way to go. I keep my boat on a trailer. I don't care about how it looks close up. I don't care about a mirror finish. I just want to get rid of the horrible avacado green and have it look like good out on the water. I also want to brush or roller paint it. I'll wet sand until my arms fall off to get a shine if the paint will take it. I just need to know what kind of paint is best and what I can do to improve the natural result of the job. What's my best bet? thanks gang.

crab bait

Captain

i'm with ya,, PUKE GREEN gotta go.. why was it popular anyway ?? i tried to tell peeps at the time.... they said I WASN'T HIP .. hip **it !! ugly's ugly..let get some cover paint on that sucka... i did a respons to " RAGHAULER " in march about the tip & roller paint method..i ain't writin' it again.. but interlux with there 333 thinner ,, roll on tip off can't be beat..

D

DJ

glastronbrian,<br /><br />Don't give up on the paint brush. If done right, it can rival a spray job. You'll need a good paint, I suggest a one part polyurathane, over a suitable primer.<br /><br />If the paint is thinned correctly, it will come out very nice. You can also "color sand" the final coat with a 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get it super smooth. The "color sanding" should be done by using your hand, plenty of water/dishsoap mix and rinse often.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since you trailer your rig try automotive paint. I have used MTK (made by PPG) urathane 2 part paint on my two trucks and it is rugged. I know people who have used the same paint on jet skis and it has stayed on. My friend used the MTK clear to coat his upperdeck and it still looks great after two years. Painting is about 75% preparation. Good luck.<br /><br />Yeah forget the "rattle can" method for your boat.<br /><br />Bob