Rod Racks

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I saw a great idea for rod racks in this month's issue of the "Florida Sportsman" magazine. <br /><br />The author had installed 2 or 2 1/2 inch PVC pipes horizontally along the interior sides of his aluminum boat. Prior to installation, he had used a propane torch to heat the ends of the PVC pipe and had pressed a wine bottle into the warmed pipe which had flared the ends of the pipe. The result were lengths of PVC pipes into which he could insert his fishing rods (like inserting a sword into its sheath. He used a section of bungee cord to keep the rod-butt from coming out of the pipe. His rod racks not only protected the full length of his rods but also protected folks in the boatfrom accidently brushing against hooks because the lures were also inside the PVC pipe with the rod. <br /><br />Don't know why I never thought of the idea before... but I'm gonna make me some rod racks just like his unless anyone else has a better idea. <br /><br />¿Do any of you have any other good ideas for homemade rod racks (horizontal or vertical) that you could share with the rest of us? :rolleyes:

crab bait

Captain
Re: Rod Racks

what do you mean ? does the reel sit down in " wine bottle flange " ? is the rod since down inside completely, hard to remove ?

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

hey warhorse, I have been using 4 inch pvc under the gunwhales of my Fountain CC for years. I pin one end(where the rod tips will be)to the qunwhales so it will swing down, and I use a Rubber strap/hook(similar to the jeep hood hold downs)to hold the loose end firmly tucked up into the gunwhales. I stuff 6 to 8 rods in them with the reels and handles cradalled by the rubber strap. The great part is No one see's them from topside. They inconspicuously hide under each gunwhale. When I need a rod, undo the strap, drop down the tube and there you have a buffet of rods. Anyway..........I love it and everyone I take fishing thinks it is great too... but if you see my boat on the docks, please do not take my rods.................

crab bait

Captain

BOY, THAT'S NICE to have your stuff hidden.. that alone is worth it.. an a " an a BUFFET of rods " catch all you can eat...

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bushcat -- I like your idea too, but the one I mentioned only had one rod per PVC pipe.. <br /><br />Crabbait -- maybe this sketch will help... <br /><br />pvc pipe .............fishing rod<br />============0 < ----------O--<br /><br /> <br />The end of the pvc tube where the<br />rod tip enters is flared to make<br />it easier to guide the rod tip into<br />the pvc pipe when you insert the <br />rod into the rod holder. <br /><br />Only one rod per holder. But there <br />were three to six rodholders mounted <br />horrizontally along the gunnels of the <br />boat. The pvc is flexible and follows <br />the curvature of the gunnels. <br /><br />º<br />º <br /><º)))«<