What Boat Should I Buy??Help!

baalthazaar

Cadet
I'm hunting for a new center console and want to spend sub $20k (17-21ft)on a new one as I have to finance it. What brand should I go with for quality workmanship and a reasonable price? I plan to use it within sight of the florida coast 3-5 miles Please, your advice is needed. Thank You. Erik

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Boat Should I Buy??Help!

Howdy, Erik.<br /><br />Try to find a leftover 2001 Boston Whaler Montauk and insist that they sell it at or below the price of the 2002 170 "Montauk" (they redesigned and cheapened the boat and cut the price). <br /><br />Put a Johnson/Suzuki DF70 EFI 4 stroke or a Merc EFI 60 4 stroke on it. You will have an excellent boat for what you want to do.<br /><br /> :)

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yoy need to decide if you want a 17' or a 21', big difference between the two boats!

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice

Here in Galveston, I have used a center console called Sea Hunt. The boats are manufactured in north carolina. They are double hulled and foam injected - very similar in concept to a boston whaler without the $$$. We have taken it as far as 35 miles off and have really put it to the max. The boat is great for bay and in-shore fishing as well. You can pick up a brand new 17' nicely equipped for about 15k (in texas at least)

baalthazaar

Cadet

thanks for the advice. I will be looking for a whaler and chcking the other manufacturer shortly. I have decided that i only need a 17footer. plus the total weight of boat and trailer is limited by my vehicle. safe max tow 3k lbs. Thank you again guys.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Whalers are tops. Edgewater is very similar to Whaler, also expensive. Dunno what brands are available in your area. Both Key West and Mako have very attractive designs in the 17' size. These should be higher priced than the Sea Hunt but less expensive than the BW/Edgewater. Pick you own comfort level on price.<br /><br />Try to get test rides. How difficult your dealer is about this could influence your choice!<br /><br />Kelly Cook