Twin Yamaha 200's $$ ??

josepr

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to boating so please be gentle.<br />I just got a hold of a Stamas 26.5 with twin Yamaha out boards (salt water series). They have less than 200 hours.<br />Is this allot of hours? How much are they worth ?<br />Is it hard to maintain them? I looked them over and the looked really clean. What should I look for in terms of problems. (leaks)

striper

Seaman
Re: Twin Yamaha 200's $$ ??

Howdy josepr, I have a newly rebuilt 93 200 hp and I've put 50 hours on her in the last week catching striper around the coast of Maine and goin out for cod 10 - 20 miles. Bein a new rebuild and breaking her in rite she's a heck of a dandy. I've been readin on the board mostly bout oils(if ya have a 2 stroke) and as long as ya run a good tc3w, watch, listen and treat em rite you'll do real fine. 200 hrs isn't a lot at all. There not cheap to replace no matter what year so yes they are expensive. As far as maintaining follow the owners book of knowledge. You have<br />a set of dandy's.(motors that is)

josepr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Stiper.<br />I don't have the manuels,but I guess I can pick up some info on them on the internet.<br />I got the boat Stamas 26.5, 1972 EXCELLENT SHAPE and the engines for only $12,000. Everyone says the the enigines alone are worth more than what I paid.

striper

Seaman

You got a heck of a deal. I just bought my boat, it's a 25' Wellcraft coastal for $10,000 with an I beam trailer. The guy I bought it from payed over 7 grand to have it totally overhauled from top to bottom.<br /> Enjoy

heribertorosas

Recruit

Jose, i hope you still have the stamas. I have a 28 foot stamas with brand new 225 HP optimax(took off the 225 yamahas). Im from Cabo Rojo, PR. Just a little advise on your yamahas, just under the engine block behind the carburators, there is a grease cup that almost anybody knows of. It is the lubrication point for the gear shaft. If you dont keep it greased, the shaft is going to corrode and you will start feeling that when you try to put the engine in forward or reverse it will get stiffer everytime until it freezes up and to repair this you have to take the engine block out. It happened to both my engines. So good luck with your stamas, i really like mine. Heriberto Rosas. Hotel Colonial, Mayaguez.