Replacing throttle/gear cables

Fortech

Cadet
I'm needing to replace the control cables on an 86 90HP inline six Merc with a mid eighties control box. As I have never done this before, and would like to retain the linkage adjustments, is there any advice out there to make this an easy transition. The PVC tube that runs from center console to stern looks kind of tight, is there a way to pull the new cables through with the old ones as a guide? Any help would be appreciated...... :confused: <br />Tony Lopes

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing throttle/gear cables

I've only done it a couple of times and to be honest, it was a pain both times. The only andvice I have for you is to take a lot of time looking at the way things are now on the motor end but especially in the control box. Doing it all in the same day really helps.

Fortech

Cadet

Come on guys, any more feedback on this? I need a real plan here, please help!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Tony. I have the core from an old control cable I use. I'll attach it to one of the old cables being pulled. When I pull the old cables out, the old core wire gives me something to pull the new ones through with. Most installations are different and have their own problems. No doubt it can be difficult. You can also use a piece of rope or heavy twine instead of wire. One thing I do, when I hook the new cables up to pull, I stagger them...that is, one cable ahead of the other when attached to the wire or rope. Helps get through tight places. It also helps to pull the cables from the back to the front. Usually there's not a lot hanging off the cable ends that go into the control box. Study your set up and cables. Maybe get a helper to help guide the cables as you pull.<br /><br />Hope this helps a little.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tony, Put the motor into neutral before removing the shift cable. when you have installed the new shift cable, adjust the cable barrel until the cable end just fits the shifter arm (still in neutral). When you install the new throttle cable, (motor still in neutral) adjust the cable barrel for some tightness (preload) against the throttle idle stop.