25" leg on 20" transem

shaggyyqq

Cadet
I have an 18' Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 20" transom with a 90hp Force Engine on it. I just purchased a 115hp Yamaha with a 25" leg. I've heard all sorts of ways of making it fit including having the transom built up with 1/4" aluminum plating. I've heard of Jack Plates as well. My question is, what is the best method of making this rig work. I would rather not do alot of cutting of holes in the transom but whatever has to be done....Help please!!<br /><br /> :eek:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25" leg on 20" transem

A manual jack plate from Cook (www.cook-mfg.com) or Bob's Machine (www.bobsmachine.com) will do what you need. No cutting or drilling required!<br /><br />Look at the steering and see if it will still slide in the tilt tube if the tilt tube is 5 or 6 inches higher.<br /><br />Good luck!

naughtybynature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey shaggy, either will work just fine. the adjustable jack plate is the best because you can lower the motor for best holeshot, then raise the motor once on plane to get best top speed and mileage (less drag from gearcase) this soluton however will be very expensive once the cost of the unit is converted to canadina dollars. upwards of atleast a grand. the aluminun solution is good because it is much less expensive. make sure that you know where the hieght should be before you go and get one made. any fabrication shop here on the island can wip you up one, they don't have to be a "boat" place. simply through bolt the bracket using stainless bolts. make sure you use a backing plate. you should be goood to go!<br />
jvn05.JPG

shaggyyqq

Cadet

Hey guys, thanks for the info. It sounds like I'll go with the aluminum build up. Naughtbynature if you can, send me your email as I would like to talk to you some more about the build up.