Overheating Alarm...

Boat_Boy!

Seaman Apprentice
1992 Yamaha C40 with remote controls, cruising along at about half throttle when this ear piencing alarm goes off inside the remote. being new to boating, and having a nervous wife at my side, I fumbled around for about 30-45 seconds trying to figure out what the #$%! the alarma was telling me. Much to my wife's shargrin, I turned off the motor once I figured out that it was probably a temperature alarm. I pulled up the leg and found a small blade of kelp perfectly wrapped around the water intake. Once I removed the kelp, I restarted the engine, and the alarm was still going off. I confirmed that the engine was pumping water, and I could tell she was pretty dang hot. About 30 seconds later, the alarm went off as the water cooled the block to normal operating temp.<br /><br />Question: Have I done any damage to the motor? Should I take any action? It ran perfectly for the remained of the day, and when i flushed it out later on that afternoon. Any advice is appreciated.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Overheating Alarm...

You should be fine, if it didn't stop on its own and it started right up after removing kelp. No action to be done, go fishing.........