Yamaha 200 hydraulics sound bad

josepr

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a boat with twin yamaha 200's (salt water series). I am a newbie.<br />One sounds just fine when I move it up or down.The other sounds bad (screeches)and the engine needs to be moved by hand to get it going. I have not moved it since this happened. There is also an oily substance on one of the rods that pushes the engine up. I imagine that it is hyraulic fluid.<br />Does it just need some fluid or is the hydraulic motor shot ? Where do I put the oil ? I don't have the manuels.Should there by some oil on the rod or is it leaking ? Is this something I can do myself or should a mechanic look at it ?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 200 hydraulics sound bad

There should not be any oil on the piston rod. The fill is on the top side of the piston, pull motor all the way up, see large straight slot screw on side of case, fill to top with yamaha hydrolic fluid. Sounds like the seal is shot on the top of the piston, this is common. Motor needs a pushed because its low on fluid and makes noise because of the air. The cross shaft could also need to be greased.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I never did a Yamaha, but the Johnson was simple. Need to disconnect rod at engine , unscrew top of piston (needed special tool) replace worn seal close & fill. I'm a back yarder!

josepr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Fishon,<br />Do you think it would be very hard to replace ?<br />A do it your selfer or should I take it to my mecanic?