Honda v/s Yamaha 4 stroke

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice
I want to buy a new 50 HP four stroke, either Honda or Yamaha. Does anyone know which would be the best choice?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Honda v/s Yamaha 4 stroke

Howdy, Code-1.<br /><br />Yammys and Hondas are both very good engines, but both 50s are carbureted.<br /><br />EFI makes as much difference in outboards as it did in automobiles. Instant starts, smooth idle, less emissions, use less fuel.<br /><br />That means that the BEST choice, in my opinion, would be a Suzuki/Johnson DF50 or a Mercury EFI 50.<br /><br />If you are dead set on a Honda or a Yamaha, There is little to choose between them. I would probably go with the Honda because I think the silver bonnet is better looking. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with most of what JB says except the better looking part. Having just bought a Yamaha, I was swayed by the advice on this board to buy a motor that has a good dealer close to you. There are lots of opinions here on the board. Do a search on Yamaha or Honda at the top of the page and you will learn more. Good luck with your choice.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JB and Peter O. <br /><br />I appreciate the help. I hadn't thought of an EFI engine. I have had a lot of trouble with my 40 HP Suzuki two stroke carburetor and therefore just didn't think of Suzuki again. But now I have to rethink what I want to do. The only thing I do know for sure it will be a four stroke. <br /><br />Again, thanks.

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1985 carburated 2 stroke 55hp Suzuki and it was a pretty good engine. I replaced it with a 2000 EFI suzuki 4 stroke and the difference is amazing. Just turn the key to start. The engine is much quiter uses significantly less gas than my 55hp doesn't smoke and is a pleasure to operate. JB is right in that EFI is the way to go. A friend of mine has 40hp Honda which is a good engine but seems to idle a bit funny under hot weather conditions. I guess something to do with the carbs.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

I had a Honda 45 and have now a Honda 50. Starting has never been a problem ever. Ok I have to squeeze the bulb 2-3 times when the engine is cold, and use the lever. I can live with that :) <br /><br />The Honda is not as heavy as the Yammaha. Three cylinder vs four.<br />The Honda is a bit slower (About 0-3 mph depending on the boat.) Fuel? About the same.<br />The Yammaha is probably faster out of the hole. Both are really quiet as all fourstrokes. When i first got my Honda 45 back in '91 I first thought it was.. not ugly... but different. Now a days I think it looks great. The Yammy... well it's your choice. The difference between these two isn't that big. The dealer (parts and service)is more important than the colour.<br /><br />Bear

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Manitoba 1 and Bear for your replies. I have a variety of dealers here so parts and service is no problem. However, JB has caused me to rethink my options. I was unaware that Suzuki had an EFI engine in the range I wanted. So now the equation has changed to include Suzuki after all. I appreciate all the help from everyone. This bulletin board is great.

Skinnywater

Commander

When I was faced with the same choice. The deciding factor was the Honda BF50 was 52 lbs. lighter then the Yamaha.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks skinnywater for your input. Re: the warranties, both have a limited three year warranty. Why is Honda better?

Skinnywater

Commander

The dealer where I bought, 3-4 months ago, sold both Honda and Yamaha. The salesperson told me that after the second year the Yamaha warranty starts dropping coverage on some electrical components. The Honda warranty was the same throughout the 3 years.<br />Everything Bear (another Honda owner)posted was identical to what I've been told about the Yamaha. It was dead on about what I've experienced with my Honda. I have to tell you, when I cold start it's pump the bulb, lift the choke/fast idle lever, turn key and it's less then a 2 second crank to a smooth idle.<br />I don't know about the friend of a friend, but here in N. California I've idled smoothly for hours with out a "funny" idle and it's been 98-102f lately. ( It's been noted by some Honda techs, and I agree, the BF40/50 base idle should be 11-1200 rpm and should be set that way for optimum performance.)<br />Ordinarily fuel injection is miles better. But it is miles more expensive, weighs more and is more complicated. If I can go 6-8 years before needing a carb(s) o'hauled, the bill will be 2/3 less then a MAF sensor, pump, ECM or injectors that will likely fail in the same time frame. Consider diagnosis time/abilities also.<br />Honda manufactures more engines then any one else in the world today. I've been told on this board my BF50 won't last long because I have to use it hard and fast with my jetpump. However, Honda knew I'd be using it this way. Think back, Honda has a long history of having abused engines that just keep on going. <br />I've done the search, on this forum and others. In all fairness and consistant honesty,faults or problems are rare in this forum. I've read very few complaints with either one, Honda or Yamaha. <br /> I don't and never have owned a Suzuki, Dihatsu, or a Peterbuilt. I won't be able to give you a qualified opinion on them.<br />Already I know a great deal about the BF50.<br />It sure is going to be easy to work on. Oil change, valve adjustments, timing belt, or even a valve job, so easy to work on. <br /><br />Take all the info you've collected and go pull the cowl off of the Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, just look, look them over real good.<br />There are some time tested rules; <br />1.Simple is usually more reliable. <br />2.Quality is noticable.<br />3.A good reputation is hard earned.<br /><br />I'm confident that no one is going to say "not" to buy one. <br />I like the thought that Bear's owned one for better then a decade and went back for more <fun>.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Skinnywater. You certainly make a good argument for Honda. I've owned Honda cars since '76 and can definitely vouch for their reliabilty and durability and would surmise that they would carry that integrity over to their outboards as you said. As for the cold start, I can live with that. That's not unreasonable. But I wish they would include the EFI on their 50's like they do on the 115's and there wouldn't be any need for further discussion. I definitely think there is an advantage of EFI over carburetion and don't understand why Honda or Yamaha haven't considered it unless they're concerned about it being cost effective. Anyway, everyone has given me pause to think and I appreciate it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Skinnywater.<br /><br />If you count lawn mowers, gensets, etc. Honda may manufacture more engines than anyone else in the world, but Suzuki builds and sells more outboard engines worldwide. Second, I think is Tohatsu.<br /><br />It is easy to pooh-pooh EFI if you've never used it. I have. It is worth every penny.<br /><br />Cheers. :)

Skinnywater

Commander

I haven't pooh-poohed anything. There are a lot of BF40/50's in third world and developing nations. (They aren't doing much water skiing.) Being 3-4000 miles away from temp sensor or a Fluke meter, and questionable fuel quality suddenly makes a pretty good arguement for the lowly carburator.<br />The statements I made about fuel injection are facts and are in the most part the only disadvantages to it.<br />I was answering Code-1's questions about Honda vrs. Yamaha and I really don't care about Suzuki.<br /><br />Agreed,fuel injection is a good thing but isn't there some posts on this forum about cylinder heads cracking on Suzuki's? Some complaints about long down times waiting for parts?<br /><br />Anyway, had Code asked about Suzuki vrs. Yamaha, I wouldn't even have read the thread.