Tilt&Trim "screeching" noise

blueskies

Recruit
On my 2000 Yamaha 115, tilting up or down, goes through a screeching noise at a certain mid-point in the travel envelope. Should I change the fluid? What with? (I have no manual). Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt&Trim "screeching" noise

I have a 1991 Evinrude 70HP that is doing the same thing. Although mine started to do it after I hit a small piece of wood in the Lake last week at slow speed, then it started to whine at about the mid-range trim position. Mine only does it while I'm moving! No noise when I tilt it up at the ramp, though! Any Ideas on what could have happend to start this noise? Any help would be appreciated!<br /><br />Rick

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have experienced this in the past and the answer was to open the top up hole, let it rest for 30min then top up the oil. It appeared air had entereed the tilt/trim hydraulic system. Hasn't happened again since.<br />Good luck<br />Ross

D

DJ

You have air in the system. Follow RossJ's advice and then cycle the Tilt/Trim up and down several times (full travel), let it rest and repeat. You do not want to overheat the trim motor.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is there a specific fluid to use in the Tilt And Trim? 1991 Evinrude 70HP Thanks, Rick

D

DJ

Rick,<br /><br />OMC makes a specific fluid for your engine. I do not believe the generic tilt/trim fluids will hurt though. I know Lubriplate makes a generic fluid.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks djohns19, I'm gonna try to find some of the Generic Lube tommorow. Probably just as good as OMC stuff! Rick