sputtering on idle after warmed up...

csaps

Cadet
my 1996 150 yamaha has a funny problem...<br />when i cold start, i have no problem idleing out of the channel....after running at about 4000 rpms for a good 20 minutes, i drop back to idle, and i have a severe sputtering problem. when i try to speed up, it runs very rough until i get to about 2500 rpm....i thought about water in the fuel, but it checked out ok. the funny thing is that it only does it in the water (under a load). i can run on the muffs all day and it wont happen.<br /><br />any clues, guys??????

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: sputtering on idle after warmed up...

I'll offer a guess. You can't (i.e., shouldn't) be running at anywhere near 4000 rpm with the muffs on, so the motor probably isn't getting up to temp as it is when you are underway. At temperature, it may be running lean and you may want to try setting the high speed mix a little richer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

hmmm -- reread the posts -- think it would be low speed adjustment that would have to be tweaked when the engine is hot. (runs OK at speed, right?)

csaps

Cadet

oldboat1<br /><br />yes, it runs ok at speed....the problem lies once i drop it into idle after its warm. i guess i will try to adjust the low speed once it is warm. <br /><br />Also, when the muffs are on, i never run at more than 2000 rpm!!!!<br /><br />thanks for the tip...i will let you know.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the same problem with mine and did a decarb. It worked wonders and solved the sputter problem after warm up.

csaps

Cadet

fishthebay.....<br /><br />thanks. i will give it a try....can you give me some insight on how to? what is involved in doing a decarb?

csaps

Cadet

fishthebay.....<br /><br />thanks. i will give it a try....can you give me some insight on how to? what is involved in doing a decarb?