R&R Outboard Steering

DI

Cadet
I'd like to replace the hydraulic steering on a 1983 20 1/2 foot Seacraft CC. It's powered by a '98 150 HP Suzuki O/B - less than 50 hours. The hose line connectors at the cylinders are practically rusted through and I have it trailered in my yard waiting this, and a few other repairs. I've had it out of the water for about 2 years waiting for the time (and money) to work on it and get it seaworthy. I expect the current steering system is original and is one of the major items I need to address in my effort to get the boat back in shape. I've kept the motor running with monthly battery charges and motor starts with fresh gas, general cleaning, grease, etc. I've finally got some cash saved to start working on her.<br /><br />I'd like to get recommendations on a good quality steering system in the neighborhood of a grand or less. I expect steering systems have come a long way since '83.<br /><br />Appreciate your help.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />DI

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: R&R Outboard Steering

First I'd check if the main components all need replacement. If the only thing is fittings and hoses you can replace these parts.<br /><br />If your system is nor working properly the pump might need service. I don't think there's much new in steering over the last years except when servo fitted.<br /><br />Check http://www.vetus.com or www.seastarsteering.com