1996 40 HP Yamaha

Waterrazor

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to go look at a boat with a 1996 40 HP Yamaha, Electric start. I know what to look for in the boat but I need a little advice on the engine.<br />I was told to check the engines comp. and that the cyl. should be within 10%, but what numbers am I looking for? <br />what else should I check for?<br />Thanks in advance, this is going to be my first boat (with an outboard) and my dad always owned I/O engines.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 40 HP Yamaha

Howdy Razor.<br /><br />Each cylinder should compress over 100psi. The really important issue is the comparison between the two.<br /><br />If at all possible, get an on-water demo. If that is not possible, get the seller to crank it up on the muffs. Pull and short to ground each spark plug wire. The engine should drop rpm, but continue running with each disabling.<br /><br />Good luck :)

Waterrazor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I don't think that he will have a problem with the water test and in that case what should I be looking for? At what rpm do these engine run?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Razor.<br />The engine should reach at least 5000rpm at wide open throttle and be able to hold that for several minutes. A strong stream of warm water should be coming out of the tell-tale after the engine warms up.<br /><br />Should start easy (have him show you exactly how to start it) either cold or warm and idle smoothly. Accelerate smoothly.<br /><br />Good luck :)