Yamaha 40 problems after 2 years storage.

Skiboy

Recruit
Hi<br /><br />My Yamaha 40HEO (short) 92mod. in mint condition have been stored for 2 years with propper maintanance before storage. I started it up for the first time this weekend, and thankfully it started right away and everything was working perfectly. It got the right amount of lubricant and the control water was running out of the enigne in normal fashion. After around 5 minutes idle I was ready to go. Started of slow and the accelerated. Everything still fine. Full throttle and everything still fine. BUT, after a couple of minutes the engine lost a bit of power and I slowed it down to idle to be on the safe side. It idled for 10-15 second the it made a "skitching" sound like a missfiring or metal against metal. I also noticed that there are now no water coming out of the engine.<br /><br />Do I only have to change the impeller, or are there something else?<br />I thing that the impeller should do it, but again the strange sound I'm not to sure about. Is this a missfiring sound that will go away when I have changed the impeller and the engine will not be as hot anymore?<br />Is it something else?<br /><br />Regards :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 40 problems after 2 years storage.

Howdy, Skiboy.<br /><br />I would start with a new impeller. While you have the lower end off, rotate the prop. Feel and listen for anything suspicious. Then do the same with the powerhead (plugs out).<br /><br />Good luck :)

Skiboy

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 40 problems after 2 years storage.

Thank's JB<br /><br />I'm going out to the cabin this weekend where the boat is. Have bought the impeller now and I'm ready to go. <br />I will also check the other things you suggested.