starter problem

xsecur

Recruit
I have a 1993 - 115 hp Yamaha and yesterday it started 2 times (no problem)<br />and then the starter just spins and the gear under the spring spins but will<br />not pop up. I replaced the batteries 1 month ago and even charged one for<br />6 hours yesterday and the starter and gear spin but the gear will not pop up.<br />Is there any sort of adjustment that I could make ?<br /><br />Any suggestions ?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: starter problem

>disconnect negative battery cable<br />>by hand, lift drive gear into mesh with ring gear on flywheel and hold upward<br />>lube exposed splines with a few drops of engine oil<br />>reinstall battery cable and try again<br /><br />*note<br />a low or defective battery can cause the same effect....measure the battery voltage "while" attempting to crank. It should be atleast 10 volts<br /> :)

petryshyn

Commander

One more question. Did you charge the battery before it wouldn't start, or after? Do all other accessories appear to work OK?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I think if it were me (and has been), I would pull the starter and take in into a reputable shop. The bendix may be only dirty (should be cleaned and lubed only with very light oil), or you might end up having the starter rebuilt -- need for rebuild unlikely, from your description, but a shop can tell better. As you know, the initial current jolt from the battery is supposed to slam the bendix gear up to engage the flywheel -- nothing gentle or subtle about it.

tuxcedo88

Seaman Apprentice

old boat is correct. over time the bendix ( what I refer to as the starter drive ) can become weak. You can remove the starter and just replace the drive, providing you know how to remove and install a new one or just replace the entire starter.When I used to work on cars I used to replace the starter drives all the time , a much less expensive alternative to a new starter :)

Overdraft

Recruit

Just in case others out there are searching the history for help on starters...<br /><br />I have a 2000 200hp OX66 efi:<br />I thought I had starter problems as well. The first signs of trouble was the starter spinned, but the "bendix" wouldn't "pop-up". Switched batteries, and voila, it worked - an hour later we were on the water. <br /><br />The next time to take it out, 2 months later, same problem! Except the more I tried it, the starter wouldn't turn over at all. Switched batteries (both I knew were fully charged!), still nothing. I thought it was the starter, so I took it off, and brought it to an expensive shop to test it. They bumped it with a battery, and viola, the bendix popped up - nothing wrong with the starter! I thought then I had a bad solenoid, or something else... <br /><br />I talked to a knowledgable, local boat mechanic, and he suggested I "tighten the wingnuts on the battery." Would you believe that's all it took?? I tightened the wingnuts probably a half a turn with pliers, and she started right up! <br /><br />Jeez... live and learn (every outing!)<br /><br />Mike, Eagle Point, Tx

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lot of good advice above, Xsecur.<br /><br />Lube the shaft.<br /><br />Clean and reattach all starter power cable connections. Special attention to the negative (ground) cable where it attaches to the block.<br /><br />Try again. You have spent nothing.<br /><br />Good luck. :)