is it cabrea or suzuki

seanclmsn

Recruit
I have recently inherited a pontoon boat with a 50 hp Cabrea i have been told that this is actually a suzuki that has been marketed under a different name is this true?

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: is it cabrea or suzuki

You own a suzuki. I was told by a merc dealer that used to sell zukis that the cabrea was marketed as a slightly cheaper model and the name had something to do with Califonia but I can't remember what is was. I also own a 2 cyl 50. I have discovered that some parts are different from the DT line, but it is the same engine.

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

forgive me- long day and i can't spell anymore

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am interested in more info about these 50hp Cabreas. What year are they and do you have any shop manuals on them? I own a 1989 Suzuki DT55M which is a two cylinder commerical motor quite different from the regular DT55 -- I have a supplemental Suzuki shop manual for the motor indicating it is from a family of 2 cyl. 48, 50 and 55hp Suzuki motors that can run on gas and kerosene, none of which were apparently sold in North America except mine. Maybe your Cabrea motors are related in which case I will find a new source of parts?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

just searched google.com for cabrea outboards without success, but I did find out that Suzuki Marine America is based in "Brea, CA". Coincidence? I think not.

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the case of my 83 cabrea the differences that I have found are different carbs and the water pump is from a different (larger) year. And the cowling is white. I've enjoyed mine- runs 17' boat 30 mph at 6000.

seanclmsn

Recruit

Ok thanks for all the input, what model suzuki is the 1991 cabrea equivilent to...meaning if i were to get a manual which suzuki model should i be looking at?

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe you should look for DT50 for that as an equivalent, however I think Clymers covers suzukis from 1985 on with one book. My local marine dealer once offered to find a factory book that is model specific for me so you might have a chance of finding one.

fixit10101

Recruit

seanclmsn said:
I have recently inherited a pontoon boat with a 50 hp Cabrea i have been told that this is actually a suzuki that has been marketed under a different name is this true?
Seems to be some confusion about Cabrea vs Suzuki; Hope this clears it up. Cabrea (so named because Suzuki is based in Brea, California) is the "generic" brand of Suzuki motors. They are full-fledged Suzuki motors but without the fancy paint job-otherwise completely Suzuki. Models are same as DT equivalent Numbers in Suzuki line: using mine as example, 1988 EL75, is same as 1988 DT75. Suzuki parts interchange with Cabrea parts, as long as you order for right model year. According to Suzuki customer service, they told me Cabrea's were made from 1988-1992. For parts I always get mine from http://brownspoint.com/. They have complete microfiche diagrams for all Models/years which you can peruse or download. Their prices are Suzuki suggested-retail, sometime cheaper; very reasonable IMHO. Fast shipping. Just make sure you're ordering for the right model year. Incidently, I just picked up a Suzuki factory manual on ebay for $26.00; Brownspoint price is $66.00, others more. Beats Clymer or Seloc. In factory manuals, models are listed by Letter, ie: "J" equates to 1988, "K" to 1989, etc. Hope this clears up any confusion. Jim
p.s. Good idea to take digital camera picture or draw diagram when starting to remove parts; took me extra 3 hours to figure out proper placement of check valves and lines for oil pump by failing to make notes.