Engine mounting height

Diesel

Cadet
Still working on getting my boat and motor setup right so I can test it at WOT to see if I need to change props.<br /><br />I have a Silver Streak welded aluminum boat, 15'6" deep V with reverse chine tappering to a shallower V rear. Motor is a '92 Yamaha 90 Precision Blend. It has a set of GT series #1 cavitation plate fins. Where should these fins be in relation to the bottom of the boat? They are currently slightly higher than the lowest part of the rear V, about 1.5 inches. This puts the ends of the fins about 1 inch below the hull, where they line up with it.<br /><br />The boat weighs about 2000lbs fully loaded with a full bow tank (25 gal). At this weight the 17" pitch prop allows the motor to attain about 4700 rpm at WOT for about 33 mph. Does this sound about right for the weight of the boat?<br /><br />Considering the weight is this rpm range about right?<br /><br />The previous owner had a Yamaha 115 on it with a 19" pitch which turned about 5600 and 44 mph, but the motor was just way to heavy for the boat. As this is for ocean work, we needed an auxillary motor and therefore had to save some weight at the rear so went with the 90. The 115 was also starting to show some wrist pin noise so we wanted to trade it off while the dealer was still willing to take it
wink.gif
. Just seems like the 90 should be doing better than it is.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine mounting height

Ahoy, Diesel. You might try raising your engine an inch, and I think you need a 15" prop. 4700rpm is too low WOT for most engines and a 15 incher should allow you over 5000. Check your manual; you might even want to get 5500rpm, which would call for a 13" pitch, or thereabouts.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Diesel

Cadet

Thanks J.B.<br /><br />According to the manufacturer the operating range for this engine is 4500 - 5500. As you say a 15" should let me get over 5000 which would be much more like it. From the power curve they show it looks like max rpm is about 5000.<br /><br />I'll try changing the motor height and see what that does for me as it will undoubtedly take a little time to track down a 15" prop around here.<br /><br />Thanks again.

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try the 13.5 x 15 prop (this is what I use). I run 2 Yamaha 90s on my 23 foot aluminum boat (Alaska work design). On one motor with a total weight of 3000 (not including people/gear/fuel) I can attain 4700 rpm & 27 knots. With both motors they reach 5100 and 35 knots...

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a used Johnson for my 19'er and when I took it out for a test run I noticed a lot of spray coming up around the motor. It was "messy" looking, water foaming and churning up. I raised my motor about 2 inches and presto. The water is smooth and "clean" out the back now, not to mention I picked up speed and rpm. I'd experiment with mounting heights and also trim settings if its not hydraulic. (I have to set the stationary pin on my Johnson). Good luck..