Propeller shaft bent

Blondie

Recruit
I have a 1986 Yamaha 3 cyl. 70 HP motor that has a bent propeller shaft, trying to take out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Propeller shaft bent

Get the shop manual first. You can buy a new one, along with a lower unit seal kit,or you could remove it and take it to a reptutable<br />machine shop and have it straigtened and re-trued.<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I came, I saw, I Have No CLUE!

Blondie

Recruit

The problem is getting the old shaft out. The part that the seals actually sit in I understand is pressed in and I can not get it to pull out. Does it actually press in? I appreciate your time.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It is pressed-in, or at least, the bearings are,and require a puller tool. A good puller is available at most auto stores, but the REAL problem comes when trying to press it back in.But the same machine shop that <br />trues-up your shaft will have the required equipment to remove it,and press the bearings back in when done.<br />If it were mine, I'd take the entire lower unit to the shop, and let them do the whole job,if you don't have all those tools (like a press,puller,pressure tester,and all)<br />Make sure the unit is pressure and vac*** tested after the job is complete,to ensure there are no leaks.<br />If you would rather not go through the hastle, he can exchange it for a rebuilt unit,but that is VERY expensive. If I were him, I'd go the machine shop route.<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I'm no expert, but I DID sleep at a Holiday Inn last night!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

vac**** = VAC KEY YUME....Dangol animated monitors
smile.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />I'm no expert, but I DID sleep at a Holiday Inn last night!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Blondie,<br />Your propshaft is held in by a spanner nut.<br />Behind that is a tab washer. After removing these the bearing carrier needs to be pulled, it is NOT pressed in. It does have a close tolerance however. You my need a slap hammer to break the corrosion and or sealer loose do to the age of the motor.<br />As far as straightning the shaft. It has been<br />stressed once,when you straighten it out you stress the other the other side of the shaft<br />so the next time you hit something the chances of it snaping off completely are much greater. BTW drain the oil before you do this job. Good luck.
biggrin.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />...have fun...corm<br /><br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN<br /><br />Email me if you need to.