E-tech 75 hp Evinrude

JBL

Cadet
First of all -are these motors available secondly--how much are they third-- are they any good. If anyone has one please respond as I am thinking about buying one if all checks out. BOATZ

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: E-tech 75 hp Evinrude

Outboard Non-repair topic.

JBL

Cadet

JB You certainly do look ancient. Why didn't you just answer my question? You probably know the answer. ?????

JRJ

Commander

First yes. $6300 more or less secondly. third yes. 4th I don't have one and I don't think JB does either :D Good luck and welcome to iboats :cool:

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The question of whether they are any good, just do a search, this subject has been covered so often in the past year or so. You'll probably still be reading it this time next week.<br /><br />There is no doubt they are very good outboard, the point is just how good are they? This you have to decide yourself.

JBL

Cadet

Just do a search hhmmmmmm I could have sworn that was what I was doing. How can you get a better search than asking real people in Iboats?<br />Must be me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Probably refering to the "search" feature near the top of the page... I can attest to the volumes of discussion that have taken place not only here, but on other sites as well.<br /><br />But to answer your questions as best as I can, first, yes they're available. Second MSRP is about $8600, although your local dealer can probably do much better (Eds has it priced at $6300, but that likely includes absolutely nothing...) and third, I've driven and set up several - so far, so good.<br /><br />Oh BTW, its E-TEC, without the H. :D <br /><br />-John

BillP

Captain

How does the Etec price compare to other mfgs with similar hp?

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Over here, the Etec price ain't far off the price for a 4 stroke.<br /><br />It's on the upper range for Di (direct injection) 2 strokes.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Here's an MSRP ball park for rigging items this engine swap will require:<br /><br />-Surface mount control box $222, or Concealed side mount $270, or Binnacle control $400. Which one you need depends on what's on it now.<br />-Harness (dash to motor) $85.<br />-Tach with System Check $165 (System check is required for warranty).<br />-Trim gauge $40 (Merc/Mariner gauge incompatible).<br />-Throttle/shift cables $30.<br />-Prop; cheap aluminum $136, pricy stainless $425.<br /><br />Other things you will likely need:<br /><br />-Minimum 650CCA/800MCA cranking battery (500CCA is too small).<br />-XD-100 oil, or at a minimum XD-50 (if you buy a premium motor, don't run crap oil... just my opinion).<br /><br />Labor - hard to say, alot of stuff has to come out and a lot of stuff has to go back in. The last V6 swap out I did took me about 4 hours. On that repower, ALL controls, wiring and gauges were compatable (i.e. Evinrude to Evinrude).<br /><br />Frankly, you need to find a reputable dealer, sit down and discuss this with them. Generally, a good dealer will give you a package "deal" including labor on this type of repower. They should want to look over your boat in advance to see what they're getting into before making a quote. This not only protects them, but you too as it normally prevents surprises.<br /><br />Later,<br />-John

JBL

Cadet

How about installation? What would I be looking at to repower my 18 ft Chapp. that has a 75 hp Mariner 1984, to a 75 hp e-tec? Total cost. Close ballpark. I know , 75 doesn't sound like much but that 4 cyl. Mariner rocks this boat pretty good. 38 mph on speedo and GPS. That's not too shabby. Thanks John from Illinois<br />Boatz

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can take the old outboard and the control off, installation might be cheaper. Better still insist the buyer of your old outboard they are responsible of taking the engine off, that was what I did when I sold my mercury 100, saved myself £100 on installation.